Thursday, July 9, 2009

July 9, 2009

Wednesday nights are always fun. It's Mental Health Night (MHN). Originally it was Social Committee Meeting (SCM) night. Explanation: I belong to one of the coolest groups, The Mystic Krewe of Nereids. It's a Mardi Gras krewe in Pensacola Beach. The group consists of all girls, ranging in ages in their 30's to 60's. We are an active group year round, differing from other mardi gras groups that are active only for Mardi Gras. When I first joined, Wednesday nights were Social Committee Meeting nights. We would go to my friend, Paulette's house; Elaine would cook dinner and we would all sit around the beach house, chat, laugh, and occasionally have a real meeting. The beach is a close knit community. Everyone knows everyone. As time went by other friends, not members of the krewe, would drop by and join us. Since we are all friends anyway, some of those non-members became regulars. So, we changed the name to Mental Health Night (MHN). It is truly a mental health night! All of these women chatting and cutting up. We can let our hair down and just be silly. Or, when circumstances call for it, we can pull together in a time of need and wrap our arms around friends who need help or comforting.



Our friend and krewe member, Judy, lost her husband this week to heart disease. We have, once again, pulled together to make sure Judy has anything and everything she needs.



It's a wonderful group of women from all areas of life. I'm sure this blog will contain many references to these wonderful ladies.




Another wonderful woman in my life is Angelie. Angelie was originally my mother's friend but over the years we have become non-related sisters. As Angelie tells me we are coeur de soeur. When Mama was alive she wanted me to make an apron for Angelie. Angelie is a gormet cook. Mama loved dainty and frilly fabrics and apparel. I made the attached apron for Angelie. I must say this is one of the most beautiful items that I have made. The fabric is a very light, almost transparent. Lots of lace and ruffles. Ruffles are actually fun to make and there are many methods and techniques which can be used. My mother loved pockets and this apron has two. Then the embroidery, a very light and dainty floral design. No mistaking this apron is for a lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment