Thursday, August 13, 2009

August 14, 2009

Cajun Corner – Vol. 1, No. 12 – AUGUST 14, 2009

Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

This past Friday we went to my Aunt Lillian’s and had a lovely time. It was Lillian’s birthday. She loved the napkins that we embroidered for her. We boarded my Uncle Donald’s boat (13 of us) and went through Destin and into the Gulf of Mexico where we had a very nice memorial service for my cousin Bob and Lillian scattered his ashes, we all dropped roses, and released balloons. We returned to Lillian’s and celebrated her birthday with cake and ice cream. George and I had to leave shortly after the boat trip because we were due in Pensacola at a neighborhood barbeque – and we were bringing the meat. We made it on time and had a lovely evening.

My Aunt Philo and our friend, Paulette, were at Lillian’s. George and I have been trying to quit smoking since March of this year. We have been able to cut our smoking in half, but simply have not been able to quit. Well, at Lillian’s we stepped outside to have a cigarette and my Aunt Philo caught me. Oh, she scolded me bad. God only knows how much I would love to quit smoking. A friend of our’s gave us a self-hypnosis CD to help us quit. I followed the instructions to a T and afterwards couldn’t wait to get downstairs for a smoke. Oh well! Like my Mama used to say, “if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.”

I re-covered the cushions and made the valances for my friend. They really turned out nice. She came over to pick them up and left another set of valances for me to make. I do love to sew and these project were simple, but I keep telling my friends that’s not my business. My business is embroidery. Specifically, Cajun Stitchery does embroidery on ready made items like the weekly sales that I have in this e-newsletter.

Since the Arts & Wine Festival is rapidly approaching, George and I are furiously working on items for our booth. I cut out a lot of placemats and have started embroidering them. Two sets were completed today. They have Christmas motifs on them. This made me start thinking that the holiday season is approaching. I am going to include little gifts as sale items in the e-newsletter now. Cajun Stitchery can always put together a lovely gift basket with embroidered items, as well as other gifts.

Later in October we are going to head out to Tallahassee for another arts festival. A very dear friend of our’s from Orlando plays the fiddle and will be playing in the festival. It’s been many years since we’ve seen each other and I’m really looking forward to this trip.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Boudreaux passes to Hawaii on vacation.
Down at the pool, a fellow sits next to Boudreaux. Boudreaux says "Hey, how you doing? My name is Boudreaux and I'm here on vacation. My house caught itself on fire and I got a little extra from the insurance company."
"Well that's interesting," responded the fellow "I'm here from California and my house flooded. I used the extra insurance money for this vacation."
"Mais dats good," said Boudreaux "but let me axe you one ting. How de hell did you start de flood?"
ΘΘΘΘΘ
French phrase of the week: bec (n.m.) 1. beak (of a bird). 2. kiss. Donne-moi un petit bec doux, cher! (Give me a sweet little kiss, dear!) This is pronounced beck as in ReBECca. This was also one of Mama’s favorite words but I will not say how she used this word. Those of you who knew her, know.

Buying Locally for a Healthier Taste and Conscience #53
Next time you hit the grocery store, shop around for the best buys that support your own local environment. Check labels and signs of the produce you purchase and make an effort to buy locally grown products. Buying locally means less energy expended to bring food to your table, cutting down on everything from air pollution to the burning of fossil fuels from trucking in cargo. Buying locally also means fresher fruits and vegetables that are healthier for your body and tastier to your taste buds. Fruits and veggies shipped from abroad are usually harvested at least two full weeks before they are ripe so that they don’t go rotten during their long voyages on planes and in crates before arriving to your grocer. By buying from people in your area you’re also supporting the local economy and helping to make your home part of a more sustainable community. If products aren’t labeled at your grocery store, talk to the management and let them know you would like to know whether the tomatoes your buying were genetically engineered at some factory or whether they were grown under the same bright skies you wake up to in the morning. By buying locally, not only are you bound for a fresher taste but also for a healthier conscience by making simple decisions that go a long way in protecting all of our environments

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall
Cajun Stitchery
(850) 261-2462
cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the new catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

SALE OF THE WEEK (sale good through Thursday, August 20, 2009)
Sale: Set of 4 Placemats. Normally sell for $7 apiece or a set of 4 for $25. If you order this week, you will receive a set of 4 placemats with holiday motifs for $20. Your choice of birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Fall/Spring/Summer/Winter. Same motif on all 4 placemats.
Christmas is right around the corner – have you done your shopping yet? Take advantage of this week’s special and get ahead of the shopping rush.

Cajun Stitchery

No comments:

Post a Comment