Saturday, December 19, 2009

Get In The Kitchen and Rattle Those Pots and Pans

Yesterday George and I created the big grocery list.  Once a year we make up a grocery list of everything we want in the kitchen -- foodwise, of course.  Then to the store we go and have a field day buying all sorts of food.  As you know, it's not because I like to cook but Thanksgiving and Christmas are different.  This is the time of year for cookies and cakes and all of those delicacies.  Our plan was to stop working Friday, take the weekend off to bake and send Christmas cards.  George should have been an engineer.  No way I would have been able to fit all of that food into our refrigerator and cabinets.  He's a genius.

Once everything was in the cabinets and refrigerator, we decided to take a break before beginning the cooking.  I cleaned the kitchen and George was upstairs looking through our Christmas boxes in the attic for Christmas cards.  No such luck.  We'll have to make another trip to Wally World to get cards -- tomorrow.  My favorite cookbook "Talk About Good" was placed on the table and turned to my favorite cookie recipe.  Then all of the ingredients were taken from the cabinets and placed on the counter, along with the appropriate utensils.  Then we decided that we were hungry and George made us eggs and sausage.  Then we didn't feel like cooking and wanted to watch a movie.  So we did.

While at Wal-Mart we passed by the DVD section and the new movie out was "Julie & Julia". I've seen the trailer for this movie and thought it would be fun. So, we purchased the movie.  After dinner we sat down to watch this movie.  It's pretty rare to find a movie that I am nuts over, but this was one of those rare occasions.  I love this movie.  I laughed.  I cried.  Then I laughed until tears streamed down my face.  The movie, if you have not seen it, is a combination of two true stories.  One of the stories is of Julia Child.  The other is the story of Julie Powell.  The main vein in the movie is the connection between the two women, decades apart.

This morning the cookie paraphrenalia is still in the kitchen.  Of course, nothing was left out that would spoil or required refrigeration.  I wouldn't want you to think I was that ridiculous of a cook.  We've had our coffee and are getting ready for the day.  Wonder if we will make it to cookies today?

No comments:

Post a Comment