Friday, January 29, 2010

Cajun Corner - Vol. 2, No. 5

Cajun Corner – Vol. 2, No. 5 – JANUARY 29, 2010


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit http://www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com/ often.

Here comes the first Ball of the season for me. Tomorrow is the Mystic Krewe of Nereids’ Masquerade Ball. I am ready. I have my tiara, my mask, our tickets, my gown and accessories. The gown, of course, is thanks to my friend Judy and it is spectacular. Oh, Judy you have such great taste. Thank you.

We have all been working diligently on the float and we are on schedule. There is a lot more work to do though. I have to buy more glitter. We have used so much glitter on this float that I think I was eating glitter on my food this week as it fell out of my hair and clothing.

Earlier this week I hit the wrong thing on Facebook and a virus took over my big computer. There was nothing I could do. I tried everything I knew to no avail. Finally, I was going to bite the bullet and take it to a computer repair place and have it fixed. George got on my computer and in a matter of a few hours, it is as good as new and no virus. I believe I married a genius. Thanks, sugar.

My oldest granddaughter moved to Tampa yesterday. I am sure going to miss her. It’s not easy being 19 years old. I do wish her the best and she promised to stay in touch with Grandma.

George embroidered the Krewe of Nereids design on the back of my new hoodie. It is gorgeous. So, what did I do. I wore it to Krewe Den and got purple paint on it.

George also embroidered a hoodie for himself with Mystic Krewe of Nereids, then a very detailed, beautiful design of Nereus, and the words “King Nereus XVIII” underneath. Since we called him King George the Dragon Slayer, on the front of the hoodie he embroidered a fabulous dragon. Photographs of both of the hoodies are on blog posts earlier this week. I cannot tell you the wonderful comments that we have received on these hoodies.

More Junkanoo jackets came in this week. That must be one big krewe because those jackets just keep on coming. And, that is a good thing.

The Saints are headed for the Super Bowl. Did we ever really doubt it? Cajun Stitchery can embroider fleur de lis on just about anything. Attend your Super Bowl party with the fleur de lis or Krewe of Drew embroidered on everything you wear.

As dismal as the yard and garden looks in winter, my friend, Amy, came over and noticed that Sassy the Satsuma is alive and healthy. Oh, I cannot wait to taste those satsumas.

My sister-in-law, Kathie, spent the night with us the other evening. She came in from Fairhope to attend a seminar in Pensacola. We had a delightful evening. Kathie and I have been friends since the 6th grade. We used to wish we were sisters and then I married George and we are sisters. It is fun to remember the old times when we were young and carefree and everything seemed so dramatic. We have been through a lot together. Kathie lived with me for about 6 months when we were teenagers and Mama sewed for us. She had us dressed alike – as teenagers. I should post some of those pictures. Mama loved to sew and we loved to wear the things she would sew.

All of our projects can be seen on our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com.

Always remember that we are just a call or email away at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com or 850-261-2462 and place your order.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Boudreaux walks into a bar, and says anybody got the number for 911. Thibodaux says whats the emergency. Boudreaux says is that your truck with the Great Dane in it. Thibodaux says yes why. I got some bad news for you podna. My dog killed your dog. Thibodaux says what kind of dog you got. Boudreaux says a Chihauhau. Thibodaux says explain to me how your dog can kill my Great Dane. Boudreaux says he got stuck in his throat.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

French phrase of the week: zirable (adj.) [ZEERAB] disgusting; revolting.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Instead of posting an eco-friendly article, I thought that this week I would share some thoughts that I have. It should not take too long. Hahahaha I have a lot of friends and family who love to shop garage sales and second hand stores. I do not think enough credit is given to these wonderful eco-friendly outlets. Many articles have been written about revitalizing used and older items but I will stick to what I know – clothing and other textiles. We all have friends, if not ourselves, who dress to the nine’s and when you ask where they got this or that, they got it at a garage sale or second hand store.

When I first began Cajun Stitchery, my friend and graphic artist, Val, told me to go to a second hand store and get some shirts and embroider some designs so we could take pictures and post on the website to show what we are capable of doing. That has stuck in my mind.

Another thing that happens is frequently on Wednesday nights when the girls gather, one or another of the girls has gone through her closet and brings what she is planning on sending to Goodwill or Salvation Army for all of us to pick and choose and try on. Usually, most of the stuff is taken by the end of the evening. We do this with costume jewelry, as well, and don’t forget the gowns that are only worn once or twice.

These are wonderful ways of helping the environment. Many of us, especially women, get rid of their clothing long before the item is really worn out. We enjoy new and diverse wardrobes. Rather than throwing it out, get it out there for other women to enjoy. Another benefit is that when you get the used clothing, there is no guessing about whether or not it will shrink – it has already been laundered.

Of course, you can always get a new look on older clothing by applying embroidery to it.

Please let me know if there is something that you would like to see in the weekly email. You may always call me at (850) 261-2462 or email me at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the new catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment