Friday, May 21, 2010

Cajun Corner - Vol. 2, No.20

Cajun Corner – Vol. 2, No. 20 – may 21, 2010

Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit  www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.

The good news is that so far the oil has still not landed on the shores of Florida. Prayers continue that our shores be spared. The bad news is that it may be in the Gulf Stream headed toward the Atlantic.

I think we are over the stuffed grape leaves. They were delicious. I took the leftovers to my Wednesday night girls’ night and we ate more of them. The leftovers from Wednesday night went home with a friend of mine. We have more grape leaves in the freezer and the vines are full of even more. If anyone wants grape leaves, come on over. Although I loved the Greek sauce, everyone else said it was too garlicky and were not impressed with it. Maybe next time I’ll try my hand at making the tzazuki (no clue how to spell or pronounce it) sauce.

Our neighbor made it to Pennsylvania and arrived safe and sound. We heard from her on Saturday but nothing since then. She is probably busy starting a new job and getting settled in a new apartment. Sure hope we hear from her soon.

Good news! One of our new neighbors, across the street, surprised us with a homemade carrot cake this week. He said that his father taught all of the boys in his family to cook just in case they ever marry a woman like their mom, who doesn’t cook. I smiled. I blushed. I took the cake. I gave him carrots out of our garden, just in case he wants to make another one. As Mama would say, “En tout cas.” I marveled at how Mama could always find someone else to cook. I think God takes pity on us and provides these wonderful cooks. Nevertheless, I am thrilled at this outcome.

We now have more new neighbors. A rental, a few doors down, that has been empty for awhile is now occupied. I understand that the occupant is the owner. The speculation in the neighborhood is that he is here to remodel or upgrade but we really don’t know. I wonder if he cooks? It’s time that we have a neighborhood gathering for the new neighbors. I’ll start working on that.

The nail technician’s design has been done and delivered. The salon is called “Malachite” which is a green stone that has swirls of various shades of green. The design was a lady’s hand poised over a bottle of nail polish with the nail tech’s name “Reiko” off to one side. The hand is the green swirls. It does look odd to have a green hand, but it’s a cool design.

George and I are still working on resolving our insomnia issues. I think we just have a lot on our minds. We will go to sleep and sleep for 2 or 4 hours and then we are awake for the night. By mid-afternoon we crash for a few hours. We keep trying to make ourselves stay awake until bedtime and that has worked on a few occasions, but most of the time, we get our second wind by then and we’re still awake until the wee hours of the morning. George got some over-the-counter sleeping pills. They seem to work for him but not for me.

I’m making lots of cell phone holders to put on Etsy. If they don’t sell on Etsy, they will be offered for sale at the crafts festival in October. But I’m really trying to figure out what sells on Etsy. The Muwaa hand towel with the kissing lips has a lot of people looking at it but no takers. Of course, from what I’ve read, that gets people to our store and they will look around. I still need them to purchase something. No more totes. I say that, but you never know. What I do know is that I, personally, have more totes than I can use and I think my friends do, too. Totes were such a big deal and are necessary to take shopping but just how many totes can a person use or carry around with them? George, bless his heart, keeps a stash of totes in the back of his car for when he goes grocery shopping – then he forgets to take them out. Haha.

Facebook is a wonderful networking thing. My friends tease me because I have so many friends on Facebook. Last count I had 1,099 friends. No. I do not know all of these people but I am getting the Cajun Stitchery name out there. And, we are getting some business from the Facebook friends. The inquirers that had messaged George about embroidery never ordered anything, at least, not yet. However, we have had a few people order from Facebook. This week we received another order from someone that I only know from Facebook. This order may turn out to be a series of orders because it is for a business. Woohoo!!!!

Always remember that we are just a call or email away at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com or 850-261-2462 and place your order.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

"Marie," Boudreaux whispered to his wife late one night, "if I died, would you get married again?" "Mais, yeh, I guess," she replied. "Would you sleep in de same bed with him?" "Well, it's de only bed in de house, so I guess I'd have to." "Would you make love to him?" "Cher," Marie said patiently, "I guess, since he'd be my husband." "Would you give him my pickum-up truck?" "No, Boudreaux. I wouldn't never give him your pickum-up truck." she yawned, "Besides, he don't know how to drive a stick shift."

ΘΘΘΘΘ

French phrase of the week: Mon frère a travaillé douze ans dans les clos d'huile. (My brother worked for twelve years in the oil fields.)

ΘΘΘΘΘ

From: http://www.dailyecotips.com/

With Memorial Day usually outdoor cooking follows along. This is a fun time for the family and neighborhood. Take the time to think about changing a few things to make your Memorial Day party more Eco-friendly. Below are just a few hits on how you can change a few things to make a difference.

• Green Grilling- Use a solar powered grill for your grilling fun this Memorial Day. If you must grill with something other than solar power use a grill that burns natural gas as it is cleaner than charcoal.

• Pre-Party Cleaning- Use natural cleaning products to clean your outside patio furniture.

• Go Organic- Shop at a local farmer’s market for food ingredients. You can find great local produce and meat at your local farmer’s market.

• Bio Dishes- Switch to biodegradable utensils, bowls, cups and plates.

• Napkins- Use washable napkins to reduce paper waste.

• Compost- Compost leftover food scraps

Please let me know if there is something that you would like to see in the weekly email. You may always call me at (850) 261-2462 or email me at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

SALE OF THE WEEK (Good through Thursday, May 27, 2010)

In Honor of Memorial Day Sale

SALE: Tie Dye Patriotic Flag Tee = $20.00 (no embroidery)

Gildan - #TDUSA

Tie Dye Patriotic Flag Tee

Taped shoulder-to-shoulder. Seamless collarette. Double-needle neck, sleeve and bottom hem.


No comments:

Post a Comment