Wednesday, June 16, 2010

President Obama Visits Pensacola


A few weeks ago George and I both emailed President Obama stating that it seemed to us that whoever is in charge of this oil spill clean up is making all of the wrong choices.  That we had heard of so many different ways to clean up using environmentally safe methods.  We asked for an explanation of why those methods are not being used.  A day or two after our emails, we heard the President cancelled his trip to Australia and was coming to Pensacola.  Wow!  We felt good about ourselves.  Obviously, it was not our emails that did the trick but an onslaught of similar emails from people on the Gulf Coast wondering the same thing.

President Obama arrived in Alabama on Monday, spent the night in Pensacola, then Tuesday went to Pensacola Beach and then NAS.  The traffic issues were a nightmare while he was here.  Nearly closed down all of Pensacola, Gulf Breeze and Pensacola Beach.  But what do you expect when the leader of the free world comes to town?  There will always be the complainers.  I was just so happy that he came and saw.  Now I hope he does something.  It was funny because it seemed as though as soon as he said he was coming to the Gulf Coast, BP started looking into Kevin Costner's contraption, as well as other ideas. 

Everything is back to normal now.  We'll see what happens.

Since we couldn't leave our house most of yesterday morning, I allowed myself to sleep late.  Sweet!  Then my usual stuff on the computer.  I've signed up for Google Analytics to see who visits our Etsy site, how they get to the shop, what pages they look at, how long they are on the site, and if they are repeat visitors.  I'm just learning how to decipher all of the information and try to put some logic to it.  I read on an Etsy Forum that there is a website that shows you how many visitors you've had on your Etsy site, whether they are unique, how many times pages are opened, who hearts your shop or your item, and several things.  I joined.  The site connects to your Google Analytic (with your permission, of course).  The site is http://www.craftopolis.com/.  It appears that the people who visit Cajun Stitchery's Store on Etsy come via other venues, such as this blog, Facebook, Kaboodle, Twitter, Tumblr, search engines, etc.  The best I can figure is that no one finds me in searches on Etsy.  I'm trying to figure that one out.  There is another site that I learned about via the Etsy forums called PickClick.  The PickClick site randomly shows items for sale on Etsy.

Insofar as those other sites, Facebook, Kaboodle, Twitter, Tumblr, etc., yes, I joined all of them.  We need name recognition and we need people to visit and purchase from the Etsy site or custom stuff from emailing us.  The Tumblr site is interesting because it's another blog.  I use that one almost like Twitter, a little blurb here and there throughout the day.  It's very easy to maneuver through.  Very user friendly.

Of course, that's not all that we've been doing.  We haven't had many napkin sales lately and we have a surplus of napkins.  When I purchase napkins there is a 5 dozen minimum.  We have a napkin order for black napkins.  We don't have any black napkins in stock, so I ordered a dozen black napkins and 4 dozen other colors.  I think I'm going to embroider on some of the napkins that we do have and put them on Etsy.  Since they will not be custom embroidered, I think I'll charge $5 per napkins, a set of 4 for $20.  There are some cute beachy designs that I've wanted to stitch out for awhile.  Perhaps we'll do that.

The patriotic visor with the blue band and stars on the band have been selling lately.  In fact, we only have two of those left.  We still have plenty of the patriotic visors with the red band, flag on the bill with a yellow stripe down it to show your support for our troops and a US flag on the velcro.  They are still $5 each, without embroidery.  Embroidered names/initials are usually $5. 

Of course, we have dozens of ponytail caps as well and can get just about any kind of cap you like.  Get a cap for the summer and keep the sun from frying the top of your head, not to mention they keep the sun out of your eyes and help reduce the strain to your eyes.

I had an odd thing occur with one of our items on Etsy.  I made a really beautiful Kloth Koozie out of a deep purple spandex fabric and put an embroidered birdhouse on it.  I almost kept that one for myself:.  Anyway, I went to take pictures of the koozie and the photographs kept showing it as a dark blue, rather than purple.  The really odd thing was the birdhouse had all of the correct colors.  A friend of mine who is a photographer suggested changing background and some other stuff.  That didn't work.  After reading the manual, I finally ended up putting the photographs in an editing program and changing the blue to purple that way.  Even looking through the view finder, the koozie looked blue.  It's the darndest thing.  I think it probably has to do with the fabric being so shiny, but I've taken pictures of shiny things before without this problem.  Perplexing.

Tomorrow is my son's 42nd birthday.  It's hard to believe that I have a son who is 42 years old.  He said that his birthday is going to begin this weekend when his wife throws him a birthday party on Friday.  It makes me happy to know that they have been married, I guess, about 13 years now and still going strong.  I'm so proud of both of them.  Happy Birthday Hank!

This coming Sunday is Father's Day.  I need to do something for George.  I think I'll take him to the beach and spend a tranquil day watching the water.  He loves doing that.

C'est tout, mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment