Friday, September 3, 2010

Cajun Corner Vol. 2, No.34

Cajun Corner – Vol. 2, No. 34 – September 3, 2010


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.

This week has been filled with arts and crafts. The little items look so simple and you’d think you could whip out a bunch in no time, but what I thought would be a one day process with the cell phone pouches turned out to be several days. Of course, as I was working on them, I got more and more ideas on how to perfect them. By the time I finished what I wanted to do, I had just finished creating the “perfect pouch.” They must be pretty good because I got an order for 2 of them; then another order; then one more. Thank goodness they are perfect now. Lol How does the saying go; you can always make a better mouse trap. Even my son has ordered one. Okay, it might have something to do with the ones I did on black fabric with the gold fleur de lis embroidered on the front. Hank wants a gator on the front of his. I can do this as long as I don’t infringe on a licensed logo.

My mama always preached to me: “Never start something you won’t finish.” I’m not particularly fond of the luggage tags but since I’ve started them, I will finish the project. Who knows, someone else may find them perfect? You will recall that I used a monogram design and embroidered every letter of the alphabet on red ribbon. The ribbon looks great. Then I began cutting the monograms and putting them in plastic. Well, I didn’t like back side of the embroidery showing. Then I cut a length of black fabric to go on the back, enclose in vinyl, attach a D ring, sewed around and voila, luggage tag. There is just something about them that I don’t like. Maybe as I go along I will perfect these, too. But I will finish the project, nevertheless.

Now I have this idea for a wallet. This morning I began formulating the pattern and measuring things. I don’t know if this will be done in time for the festival but they really look cool in my mind.

Since my helpers from last year will not be available this year, one of my Nereid sisters has stepped up to the plate to help at our Arts & Wine Festival booth. Of course, she has told me that she plans to go through our wares and shop. I can just envision her hiding all of the things that she likes so no one else will buy them. OMG! As George so wisely told me, “a sale is a sale, leave her alone.” I’m sure the Festival is going to be a lot of fun. The arts and craft booths are spread out all over the island and the trolley is running all day to each arts and craft area. Although I do, of course, want to sell our products, my main goal is public relations and just getting the Cajun Stitchery name out there to the public.

Today is sort of a banner day for Cajun Stitchery. Our first paid advertisement is coming out today in the Island Times newspaper. The Island Times is online and I’ve been to that site at least 10 times so far this morning waiting for the new edition with our ad. I’m really hoping this ad brings in more business.

A good friend and customer dropped by yesterday for a pleasant visit. She has been out of town for several months working disasters for the SBA. It was good to see her. I was showing her some of the stuff we have in stock and ran across some fleece sweatshirts that I bought on sale at the end of the season last year. They are burgundy, pullovers, with pockets near the waist. I have 3 of them, 2 XL and one L. If anyone is interested in fleece, burgundy, pullovers with pockets, I can give you a really good deal on them. They would make great Christmas presents. I also have one medium gold hoodie, full zip in the front. Of course, we have a myriad of various colored napkins, a variety of nice handkerchiefs and a lot of the white pillowcases. In stock, we have red, green and white fingertip towels. Odds and ends of other items are in stock, as well.

Last weekend my black lab, Evie, was sick, again. She had been sick the weekend before, as well. But last weekend she was truly one sick puppy. We took shifts staying up with her all weekend. She finally started recovering on Sunday and is back to herself again. I don’t know what caused her to get sick on 2 Fridays in a row, other than it had been raining everyday for about 2 weeks. I’m guessing that it was mushrooms that kept popping up in the yards during the rain, but I really don’t know for sure. The sun has been shining the past 2 or 3 days and it’s Friday. So, hopefully she will stay well.

I’m still trying to use up all of my fabric and notions as I said last week. Even after all the crafting that I’ve done this week, it doesn’t look like I’ve put a dent in this stuff.

As I type this issue of Cajun Corner, George is outside in the garden. Our fall seeds should be arriving soon and he is preparing the garden for our fall planting. Some things we are just going to leave alone, like the peppers, tomatoes and beans. We are going on the theory if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

For the second time I brought a bouquet of herbs from our garden to a friend. I love doing this. The smell is so wonderful. George says that we need to pick ourselves a bouquet to leave in the kitchen. It’s much better than a bouquet of flowers because with the herbs, you can let them dry and use them to cook.

I have tried to put something new on Etsy everyday this week. I may have missed a day or two but there are new products on there, including a black handkerchief with a fleur de lis that I put on there last night.

Christmas is coming and customers are starting to do their Christmas shopping at Cajun Stitchery. Get this out of the way as soon as you can. For all who have businesses out there, remember that we also sell gift baskets.
Always remember that we are just a call or email away at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com or 850-261-2462 and place your order.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Boudreaux and Thibodeaux decided to go fishing one morning at the pond in back of Boudreaux's house. It was dark and when they reached the pond they realized they wanted to cross to the other side. But they couldn't walk around and had no boat or pirogue to cross in. Thibodeaux turned to Boudreaux and said, "Mais Boudreaux, how in the heck we gonna get across." Boudreaux said, "No problem, I'm gonna shine this here flashlight across the water and you gonna walk on the beam of light all the way across." Thibodeaux then says, "Mais, Boudreaux, you must think I'm stupid or something, cause just when I get halfway across you gonna turn off the light."

ΘΘΘΘΘ

French phrase of the week: qualité (n.f.) [KAH LEE TEH] 1. kind. Quelle qualité de crème tu veux? (What kind of ice cream to do you want?) 2. quality. Je veux une étoffe de bonne qualité. (I want a good quality cloth.)

ΘΘΘΘΘ

From: http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-cancer.html

Following home remedies are suggested for cancer patients:

• Broccoli: Broccoli is found to be good against certain kinds of colorectal cancers. These should be taken in the form of sprouts. Broccoli contains certain phytochemicals that have the ability to fight against cancer cells, but the compound has yet not been identified. These act as anti-oxidants and contain enzymes that aid in detoxification of body.

• Grapes: Grapes contain a compound called as proanthocyanidins that reduce the body’s estrogen production. This leads to effective treatment of lung, prostrate, colon and breast cancer.

• Ginseng: This herb ginseng, helps in building resistance, and fights the body off infectious agents.

• Myrrh: Myrrh is an herb having wide range of properties as anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. It is a good home remedy for treatment for all kinds of cancer.

• Green Tea: Prepare herbal green tea by boiling some amount in a glass of water till it reduces to half. This has anti-inflammatory properties and is very effective against breast, prostate, liver, pancreatic and skin cancer.

• Juicing: It is an established fact that juices are rich source of vitamins and nutrients. Freshly obtained juice from fruits like apple, banana, mango, cherries etc must be given to the cancer patients in a routine manner. This aids in boosting the immune system of the individual making them strong enough to fight the incoming pathogens.

• Aloe Vera: This herb can be consumed raw in the form of jelly. It is effective against prostate and lung cancer.

• Lycopene: According to the American Dietetic Association, Lycopene is found in abundant quantities in tomato, guava, papaya, grapes, apricot, watermelon etc. These anti-oxidant compounds are more effective then carotenoids in removal of free radicals that stimulate cell division. Lycopene is effective in treatment of prostate, lung, stomach cancers.

• Maitake Mushroom: As per the PDR Health, maitake or dancing mushroom is good for treatment of cancer. It is known to increase the efficacy of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. It also reduces the side effects of these therapies by preventing hair loss and nausea. It can be taken raw or grilled because while cooking it absorbs a lot of oil.

• Soybean: According to MD Anderson Cancer Center, soybean contains phytoestrogens and several other entities that block cancerous cells from using estrogen. It also contains isoflavones needed for prevention of cancer at early stages. It can be taken either as sprouts or as cooked vegetable and has activity against breast, prostate, colon and lung cancer.

• Wheatgrass: It is known to be advantageous to cancer patients. Wheatgrass taken in the form of juice or raw form is shown to retard the growth of cancer cells as demonstrated by Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. It has the ability to enhance the immune system and get you rid off the toxins and waste products.

Please let me know if there is something that you would like to see in the weekly email. You may always call me at (850) 261-2462 or email me at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

SALE OF THE WEEK (Good through Thursday, September 9, 2010)

SALE: Super Sweats Fleece Throw with monogram in corner = $20.00

Jerzees T's and Fleece - #815T

Super Sweats® Fleece Throw

Catalog page: 258

9.5 oz. 50% cotton/50% polyester. Pill resistant, double napped fleece. Rounded corners. Three-needle over-edge stitch detailing. 60"L x 48"W.

No comments:

Post a Comment