Friday, February 4, 2011

Cajun Corner Vol. 3, No. 5

Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 5 – February 4, 2011


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our  catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.

Last weekend was another wild and fun, Mardi Gras weekend. We started out with our Moon Pie Party on Friday night. That was a great party. Thank you to everyone who attended and helped make it such a success. We had all of our light sticks, lighted scepters, and lighted everything. More than once I found myself dancing on the stage. Congratulations go to Amy for winning the 50/50.

On Saturday our krewe attended the Junkanoo’s Third Annual Chili Cook-Off. Yes, Cowboy Carl made it there with the chili. The girls did a wonderful job of decorating our table and area. We all wore pieces of our cowgirl costume, except for me. I wore the whole thing with the suede skirt and vest and the gold, pointed toed boots. It took several days for my feet to recover. It was all worth it because we won 1st place. It was a bit odd for me to watch my krewe receive the aprons that I embroidered earlier in the week. Haha. That was a fun day, too. I even think Cowboy Carl enjoyed the event.

Sunday I hunkered down to do the lettering for the Krewe of Bad Habits. By golly, I got it done and did a good job, I might add. The completed design was emailed to them on Monday.

Remember the mylar embroidery on our tux jackets. I used the mylar embroidery to avoid snagging our cuffs and losing the sequins. Well, it kind of worked as planned. The mylar embroidery did perfect. The satin stitching around it caught on everything, just like the sequins did. And it wasn’t the satin stitching all the way around the cuffs, just on the inside toward the body because it snagged on my pins. I think that if I put a few layers of Elmers glue, or some permanent glue that dries clear, over the satin stitching, then the snagging issue should be solved.

The big secret from last week was Ella’s birthday present. She received the diva mermaid on a clam shell on her white towel. The colors were just breathtaking. They turned out so much better than I had anticipated. The clam shell was appliquéd using a very soft pink colored fabric and outlined in a deep purple. The diva mermaid was, of course, done in mylar embroidery with a medium purple and lavender. Of course, the stitch out is hanging in my bathroom. George says I need to start giving the stitch outs away because we don’t have room for so many towels. He knows by the end of the year we will have a krewe-ful of towels. I loved Courtney’s response. She said that they all have their own pillowcases to take on our overnighters and now they are all going to have their own towels. Hmmm, I wonder what next year will bring.

Tomorrow is Nauga. Yep, the Krewe of Nauga has one event and that is a pajama party tomorrow morning at 10:30. With just one event, this krewe has over 500 members. That should say a lot for the fun involved. The attire is to wear your pajamas. The cost is $15 per person and I believe they serve breakfast. The party is open to the public. As I’ve said before, George and I have never attended the Nauga Party and this will be our first year. George absolutely refuses to wear pajamas. That’s okay because many just come in jeans and a sweatshirt or whatever. The theme is animal print. Last year our precious Judy showed up dressed as a one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater and was horrified to find out that she was crowned Nauga Queen. Her picture was in all of the local newspapers with her face painted purple. Personally, I thought she was adorable.

I’ve been trying to work on the Etsy shop this week. I’m trying to get some more scarves in the store and since I’ve been freezing this week (the highs have been in the 40’s) I’m working on some flannel, plaid scarves. Chrissy arrived at Krewe Den this past Wednesday with the most adorable scarf. It was black. Felt like velour, loosely woven. On one end was a big “Who Dat?” written in gold, glitter paint and outlined in rhinestones. Absolutely gorgeous! I may do a “Who Dat?” scarf later but not right now.

As I’ve written before, the girls are always complaining about crew neck t-shirts. The crew neck is so confining. This year, one of my vendors, has what appears to be a nice scoop neck tee. It’s an Anvil Women’s Sheer Scoop Neck Tee. This is the sale of the week. It’s short sleeved. To keep the price down, due to shipping, I have to sell in lots of 10 to get the price.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

My favorite poem:

Are you almost disgusted with life, little man?

I'll tell you a wonderful trick

that will bring you contentment, if anything can

Do something for somebody, quick!

Are you awfully tired with play, little girl?

Wearied, discouraged, and sick-

I'll tell you the loveliest game in the world,

Do something for somebody quick!

Though it rains like the rain of the flood, little man

and the clouds are forbidding and thick,

You can make the sun shine in your soul, little man

Do something for somebody, quick!

Though the stars are like brass overhead, little girl,

and the walks like a well-heated brick

and our earthly affairs in a terrible whirl,

Do something for somebody, quick!

Did you know:

Louisiana contains 41 percent of the coastal marshland in the United States.

===============================================

French Phrase of the Week: Le Parti de Nauga (Nauga Party)

===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

SALE OF THE WEEK (Good through Thursday, February 10, 2011)

SALE: 10 Anvil Sheer Scoop Neck Tee for $8 each ($80) [size S-XL] embroidery is additional charge

Colors: black, Caribbean blue (out of size S), hot pink, mocha, silver (out of size S), white

391 Anvil Sheer Scoop Neck Tee

• 3.2 oz. 100% ring spun cotton; preshrunk

• Classic countoured silhouette with side seam

• Display tape and single-needle seamed collarette

• Double-needle sleeve and bottom hem

No comments:

Post a Comment