Friday, April 8, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 14

Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 14 – April 8, 2011


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.

Have you ever had one of those days where you just aren’t motivated? Today is one of those days. I’ve done a few things. I worked on digitizing a logo for a lady. I did all of my daily computer work. Then I decided to make something for the Etsy store. I looked and looked but just couldn’t find anything that appealed to me. So, I took break after break after break. I’m not in a very creative mood today.

My heart is breaking for a friend who is about to lose her dad. Another friend is about to lose her mom. And yet another friend is in the hospital with, I think, pneumonia. Yesterday, I went outside and told George, “Amy’s dad can no longer swallow. Baban is on her death bed. Karen is back in the hospital. Japan just had another earthquake.” George replied, “Go back in the house and come out when you have good news.”

There is a bright spot, though. One of my lovely neighbors, who walks back and forth in front of my house all day, has begun singing along the way. The only way to describe her voice is that it epitomizes my concept of an angel singing. She has a very special gift. Lately her gift has put a smile on my face. One evening a few months ago, she began singing as she walked in front of my house. Our neighbor across the street came outside to listen and said something about her beautiful voice. We began teasing him because George and I hear him singing along to his music every morning. The next morning, we were outside as he began singing while getting in his car. George and I stood and applauded. I guess we embarrassed him. We didn’t mean to. It’s a good thing that he’s a good sport and lovely neighbor.

As it turns out most of our neighbors seem to have beautiful singing voices and/or they play musical instruments. George has a very nice singing voice, as well. On the other hand, I take after my mother. We can dance but sadly, we cannot sing.

When Hank was a teenager, I remember that we heard him in his bedroom and he sounded like he was in pain. George and I ran back to see what was wrong. He had his headset on and was singing to the music. My poor little boy has my singing voice. I had a similar experience many years ago with my sister, Nancy. It’s like the movie “Happy Feet.” The kicker is that we all enjoy music so much.

One of my friends loaned me a book, “No Spark of Malice – The Murder of Martin Begnaud.” I have begun reading the book and find it very interesting. Martin Begnaud lived in Scott, Louisiana. My stepfather, Johnny, was from Scott. He always said he was from “Scott, Louisiana, where the west begins.” My daddy was a funny man. The book is riddled with some interesting Acadian history entwined around the true story of this murder. The author is William Arceneaux, who is the great, great nephew of Martin Begnaud. Scott is one of those towns where, even today, the welcome to Scott sign and the come back soon sign are almost back to back. It’s a very small town.

The logo that I was digitizing for the new krewe did not stitch out well at all. In sheer frustration, I posted on a forum that I need a quote from a digitizer. It turns out that this design may be one of those things that cannot be digitized. One of my friends on the forum told me “thread is not ink and they do not act the same” and “not all art can be replicated in thread.” It’s a beautiful design but the lettering, which is the key to the entire design, is difficult to accomplish with thread and virtually impossible in the size required. I did get one company that says they can do the design the size required for the t-shirt or polo but not for a cap or visor. I’ve sent this information along to the customer and I’m waiting for a response.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.



A man in New York City, decided to write a book about churches around the country.



He started by flying to San Francisco, and started working east from there.Going to a very large church, he began taking photographs and making notes. He spotted a golden telephone on the vestibule wall and was intrigued with a sign, which read $10,000 a minute." Seeking out the pastor he asked about the phone and the sign. The pastor answered that this golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to Heaven and if he pays the price, he can talk directly to God. The man thanked the pastor and continued on his way.



As he continued to visit churches in Seattle, Salt Lake, Denver, Chicago, Milwaukee, and around the United States, he found more phones, with the same sign, and the same answer from each pastor. Finally, he arrived in lovely Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. Upon entering St. Peter's Catholic Church on Broussard Ave., he saw the usual golden telephone. But THIS time, the sign read "Calls: 25 cents." Fascinated, he asked to talk to the priest. "Father Boudreaux, I have been in cities all across the country and in each church I have found this goldentelephone and have been told it is a direct line to Heaven and that you could talk to God, but in the other churches the cost was $10,000 a minute. Your sign reads 25 cents a call.

Why?"

Father Boudreaux smiling, replied, "Sha, you in Louisiana now......

Dat's a local call."

==================================================

French Phrase of the Week: Où l'ouest commence (where the west begins) ===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment