Friday, April 22, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 16


Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 16 – April 22, 2011


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.

Tax season is over. Today is Good Friday and Sunday is Easter. Of course, I’m making myself an Easter bonnet. I read that the Easter bonnet is the end of a tradition of getting new clothes for Easter. The reason is because Easter/Spring is when everything is new and therefore people would get new clothes for the season. I remember Mama dressing us up and getting Nancy and me a new Easter outfit. She loved to dress us up and I loved to dress up.

I was thinking about what kind of bonnet I wanted to make. You know I simply don’t run on the normal brain waves. I have wanted to make an Evangeline bonnet forever. I don’t think this is exactly an Evangeline bonnet but it certainly isn’t exactly what most people would consider an Easter bonnet, either. I’m still in the creating phase but need to finish the bonnet today. The bonnet is actually done, I’m just embellishing. The bonnet is made from some pink fabric that I have at the house. Then I took the 3 inch baby blue lace – remember when I bought a bolt of that lace – and, using my gathering foot, gathered the lace and attached it all the way around the bonnet. Then I took some rickrack that has all of the pastel colors in it and sewed under the bonnet where the lace stitching is and also another round of the rickrack on top where the seam connecting the lace is located. At that point, I wondered if I could hoop the round area in the back of the bonnet. I could. I hooped it and embroidered a bunny that says “Hoppy Easter” and then put the Cajun Stitchery logo underneath that, in hot pink and white. I need more of a 3D look than flat embroidery. Today I think I’m going to embroider some fringe flowers. To do this takes a special type of design, digitized for this purpose. You embroider the flower then trim the bobbin thread underneath and pull the satin stitches up to create a fringe. I’m not sure what else I will do to the bonnet but I’m pretty sure that no one else will have anything like it. Lol

This week I began a diaper stacker for my cousin Kim. I purchased the fabric and the embroidery designs that she chose. I cut out the pattern. I serged the edges. Now I need to get with Kim to find out where she wants the designs located on the diaper stacker.

Wednesday night my girls were looking at my cutwork t-shirt. Not sure but I think they liked it.

Tomorrow is also Earth Day, I believe. Please remember to Reduce, Recycle, Reuse. I certainly hope that everyone who reads Cajun Corner abides by the 3 Rs. If not, just think of one thing that you could do. What about putting your recycling in a separate container from your garbage? That is not difficult. Just put the containers side-by-side. If you live in a house, rather than having the garbage collectors pick up your grass clippings, leaves, etc.; just start a compost pile and let these things decompose. Or use them as mulch on your plants. There are many ways to Reduce, Recycle, Reuse. Please put forth an effort. It is important. Happy Earth Day:>)

The luggage tag sale last week was a success. This week, in honor of Earth Day, the sale will be cloth napkins. A set of 4 cloth napkins, 20” square, restaurant quality, whatever colors that we have in stock (ask me and I’ll let you know), with your monogram in one corner of each napkin for $18.00 (that is $4 per napkin, usually sells for $7 each).

The cabbage was delicious. There is only one left in the garden now. This week we have been eating blackberry cobbler. Remember that we set aside one corner of our property to let the blackberries grow? I am so glad we did. We have had cobbler twice this week, so far. There is enough out there for at least another cobbler and I use 3 cups of berries in each cobbler.

Well, I need to get back to my bonnet. Have a great week.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

Thank you, Sandy and Angelie, for sending the following joke:

Thibodeaux was driving along the interstate when he noticed Boudreaux wandering by the side of the road while holding his keychain out in front of him. Boudreaux was obviously intoxicated and Thibodeaux had to stop to see what was up.

He said "Boudreaux... Why you wandering with your car key sticking out in front of you... Mais cher... Where's your car?"

Boudreaux says: "I lost it... But the last time I saw it, it was on the end of dis key!"

Then Thibodeaux looks down and sees that Boudreaux's fly is open and his Johnson is sticking out in front of him.

Thibodeaux asks: "Boudreaux! Don't you see your pecker is sticking out!"

Boudreaux looks down and says...."I lost my girlfriend too?!!!"

==================================================

French Phrase of the Week: à votre santé (to your health)

===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment