Monday, April 25, 2011

In My Easter Bonnet, With All the Frills Upon It


Saturday was a blast at the Easter Extravaganza on the beach.  I got to spend some time with friends, laugh and cut up.  I wore my Easter bonnet that I made on Thursday and Friday. 

I thoroughly enjoyed making that Easter bonnet.  Of course, I didn't want anything "normal."  I decided to fashion my bonnet like old Americana, or even old Cajun bonnets.  I created the pattern, which was very simple.  Then added blue lace around the edges.  That's part of that bolt of blue lace that I bought several years ago and I'm still trying to use all of it.  Then I had this adorable ric-rack that has all of the pastel colors fading in and out of each other.  I sewed the rick-rack underneath the bonnet to hide the stitching from the blue lace.  I liked that ric-rack so much that I sewed some more on top, over the stitching attaching the blue lace, too.  Then I decided to take the round part and see if I could hoop it.  That wasn't even a problem.  I embroidered the bunny with "Hoppy Easter" and the Cajun Stitchery logo.

At this point I wanted to use some of the many 3D techniques that I've been yearning to use.  The fringe flowers turned out perfect.   The butterflies were basically done like the patches.  Rather than sewing the outside of the butterflies to the fabric, I only did a zigzag stitch over the body of the bug, leaving the wings to flutter in the breeze.

There was one piece of the thick, white ric-rack in my stash and it was just long enough to go around the back of the bonnet.  Then I noticed that I had some little rabbit stickers which I glued with Elmers to make sure they didn't fall off. 

Once the bonnet was complete, I began gluing rhinestones.  The rhinestones just made the bonnet pop in the sun.

Although George wanted me to put ribbons to tie the bonnet onto my head, I did not do this.  I have a very short -- almost non-existing -- neck and I really don't like things tied around my neck.

I am very pleased at the result of the bonnet.  If I had more time, I could have put more things on it but it looks fine the way it is. 

C'est toute, mes amis.

1 comment:

  1. This hat is of very good quality and the fact that it's not 100% cotton works really well on its favor.The brim is wide enough to protect your neck and eyes from direct sunlight,but it's not so wide that you would look silly.
    Cotton Boonie Hat

    ReplyDelete