Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 20

Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 20 – May 21, 2011


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.  We are also on Twitter and Facebook.

Wow! What a week this has been. Kim arrived Sunday afternoon, as planned. We all but scratched the Louisiana trip, except that I did need to drive Kim to the Baton Rouge airport to catch her flight on Friday. The news kept talking about the horrible flood but everyone we spoke to said there is no flood. Of course, those people were not in harm’s way. Our problem wasn’t whether there was flooding in Lafayette, but rather, whether we could get from Pensacola to Lafayette without running into the flood in the middle.

Thank goodness for my friend, Matt Drees. Matt (who is in the military) told me via Facebook that he was stationed in Lafayette to help the National Guard out with the flood. Early in the week Matt said that they were going to open the Morganza Spillway and that wouldn’t rise to the point of flooding until Wednesday. My thought processes were: fine, I could get to Lafayette, but could I get back on or after Wednesday? So, the trip remained cancelled. There were no road problems or flooding between Pensacola and Baton Rouge, so the plan was that I would drive Kim to Baton Rouge on Thursday and we would stay in a hotel. I would deliver her to the airport on Friday and then drive home. When Wednesday arrived, Matt said that the waters were not rising to the level expected and all he was doing was going via boat to the various camps to stop the looting. Why do people loot during devastations? Hmmm. So, it was clear sailing to Lafayette.

There was no time to board the dogs, so it was just easier not to tell George that we might be going to Lafayette after all. We loaded the car and left Florida around noon on Thursday. The trip was very smooth until we reached Baton Rouge for the 5:00 traffic. After enduring about an hour of first and sometimes second gear, we finally were across the Mississippi River. The traffic eased up and it was smooth sailing to Lafayette.

It was probably around 7 or 8 p.m. when we finally got to my Cousin Roland’s home. Roland’s wife, Ruby, fed me crawfish etouffe – yes, 2 helpings of the stuff. I was a happy camper. We stayed and chit chatted and they got to meet Kim and vice versa. Their house was full because their grandson, Anthony, was graduating from high school the following day. About 10 p.m. we bid our farewells and found a room at the local La Quinta.

The following day we were up and checked out around 10 or 11 a.m. I had to have Kim at the airport in Baton Rouge by 3 p.m. We wanted to go to St. Martinsville to see if the flood had damaged La Maison DuChamp. It had not. Kim has been trying to photograph portraits that usually hang in the house of our great, great grandparents. The last time she was there, the portraits weren’t because they were being cleaned. She finally was able to get the photographs that she wanted. I got to see the house and we walked around the town for a little bit. We didn’t have a whole lot of time but La Maison DuChamp is her work and that is important. We didn’t even have time to visit my Uncle Donald, Aunt Philo or Uncle R.L. We blew in and blew out.

Once back in Baton Rouge, Kim directed me to the airport. I drove and drove and drove but we finally reached the airport and she was there by 3 p.m. Then I had to get to I-12 to come home. I began backtracking I-110 to Oh My Gosh there was that bumper-to-bumper traffic and I was in the far left lane. I saw the I-10 sign up ahead but nothing about I-12. Then I notice there is an exit to the left for Government Street. So, I took it. I then proceeded to drive and drive and drive and became completely and utterly lost. Asking for directions is not beyond me, so I stopped at a little sandwich shop and asked how to get to I-12. I was only around the corner from it. I got on I-12 and proceeded home. There was much more traffic on Friday than there was on Thursday. Several spots along the way were under construction and the traffic slowed to a crawl. All in all, the trip back was uneventful and smooth until I reached Mobile. Apparently there had been a wreck in or near the tunnel and traffic was backed up almost to I-65. We inched and inched our way. This traffic jam lasted at least an hour, if not more. Finally, I reached the bay bridge and came on home to Pensacola. I arrived home around 7 p.m. It’s good to be home. Next trip we’ll board the dogs, take George, and visit more relatives. As a little side note, when Kim and I were leaving Lafayette, we stopped to fill up the tank with gas. While we were getting gas we noticed the newspaper front page headline: “FLOOD”. We just laughed.

The rest of week had been interesting, too. I had to work and decided to deliver some orders so that Kim could see some of Pensacola rather than staying in my house the whole time. All of the zebra print items came in. Sharon wanted her name embroidered on some, and others could not be embroidered. Since Kim travels so much, she suggested what we named “luggage grips.” You know those things that you put around the handles of your luggage that have Velcro to secure. Anyway, those turned out to be really nice and easy to make. Sharon got a couple and I made about 5 of them for Kim’s luggage. We packed the car with all of the zebra print items and drove to Navarre to deliver to Sharon. Sharon was so funny. She was truly excited to get all of this stuff. While we were there Sharon was still buying more stuff that I had in zebra print. We left Studio 98 and went to a restaurant on Navarre Beach that used to be Cocodre but is now Monkey something. We had a nice lunch and drove back via the beach road. Kim got to see our beautiful sand and surf. That day was beautiful and the water was all shades of emerald greens and teals.




The next day I took Kim to Native Café on Pensacola Beach. We ran into my friend Becky who sat with us and chatted for a bit. Then we went to Geronimo’s Gift Shop to look around. They had some fabulous stuff. We giggled because they had some of the zebra stuff that I was selling – without embroidery and at a higher price. We drove around the beach. Kim loved the spaceship house and had to take pictures.

At night, while Kim was doing her genealogy work, I was working on embroidery. Like I said, I made her 5 of the luggage grips and embroidered 4 dainty handkerchiefs for her.


I’ve been working on the Proud to be a Union Thug can wraps and a variety of other items.

Memorial Day is coming up at the end of May and I’ve listed several patriotic items in our Etsy store. For this week only – through next Thursday – I will embroider “USA” in red, white, and/or blue on luggage grips for $5.00 each. This is really a good sale because our minimum order is $9.45.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

Thank you Kathi for sending the following joke:

Boudreaux and Fontenot were on their very first train ride. They had brought along bananas for lunch.

Just as they began to peel them, the train entered a long, dark tunnel. "Have you eaten your banana yet,"

Boudreaux asked excitedly? "No," replied Fontenot.

"Well, don't touch it den," Boudreaux exclaimed. "I just took one bite and went blind!"

==================================================

French Phrase of the Week: The following was taken from LSU.edu regarding Cajun french differing from other french:

Essence is perfume in Louisiana. We put de la gasoline in our chars (m.). Les voitures are what horses used to pull in le bon vieux temps.
===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment