Friday, May 27, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 21

Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 21 – May 27, 2011


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often. We are also on Twitter and Facebook.

It’s Memorial Day Weekend. Get out all of your red, white and blue. While you are enjoying the weekend at the beach, or having a barbeque or meal with friends, please take some time to remember those who have stood/are standing on a wall protecting us and providing the wonderful freedom that we all too often take for granted. God bless every one of them. If you see someone in the military, please say Thank You.

I’m reminded of a story about my step-father, Johnny. My dad died when I was 10 months old. When I was 3 years old, my mother re-married. For all intents and purposes, Johnny was my daddy. He was the only daddy that I knew. And he was a wonderful man. When Kim and I went to Louisiana last week and visited our cousin Roland, Roland gave me a picture of Johnny when he was in the Army.

Johnny was in Korea in the early 1950’s. There is an old movie called Pork Chop Hill about one of the bloodiest battles in the Korean War. Johnny used to tell me that he was in that battle. He said it was very cold and he wore every piece of clothing that he owned, layered, one over the other. He and his fellow soldiers walked up Pork Chop Hill. The battle raged on and soldiers were dropping like flies. They were hunkered in trenches. His friend to his left was shot and slumped over. His friend to his right was shot. Finally, a bullet hit Johnny. There was so much blood and death around him that he believed he was dead. The medics came and took the bodies of his two dead friends and put Johnny on a stretcher and hauled him down the hill to the medical tent. The doctor was peeling off his clothing where the bullet entered. Layer after layer was peeled off. About half way through his clothing the bullet fell out. He hadn’t even been scratched.

This week has been a week of can wraps. Some time ago, I made a can wrap with the Cajun Stitchery logo embroidered on it. I was talking to my friend, Charlotte, who drinks bottled beer. She said that I need to create a wrap that fits both cans and bottles. It needed to be something adjustable. Since that time, I’ve tried several designs but nothing that really pleased me, until this week.

While making the can wraps for the Proud to be a Union Thug orders, I kept pondering how to do this all ITH (in-the-hoop). There are several steps to the can wrap, cutting the fabric and stabilizer, embroidering, sewing the long side, turning, pulling the stabilizer through, sewing the ends and trimming. I digitized a rectangle the size of the can wrap. Then I digitized 4 eyelets, 2 on each end. The rectangle was digitized like I would for a patch. After embroidering the can wrap, I punched holes through the eyelets and used some very small elastic to run through the holes. After trying various combinations of threading the elastic, I happened upon the one that worked. Yep, it’s adjustable and fits both cans and bottles. Are there fewer steps? I hoop the plastic (yes, they are waterproof) and stitch out the first outline. Then I glue the stabilizer onto the plastic. Then I glue the fabric onto the stabilizer and the back side of the plastic. Back in the machine and stitch out the second outline. Once again I take the hoop off the machine and trim fabric and stabilizer on both sides and put the hoop back in the machine. At this point, I embroider the design, and then I finish the satin stitched outline of the patch. The thread ends and jump stitches are trimmed. The eyelet holes are punched and the elastic is threaded and knotted. Finis. I haven’t timed it yet to see if this goes any faster.

With the new ITH can wraps, I took some camouflage fabric and made some manly can wraps. One of the wraps has a pistol embroidered on it, another has a man shooting a rifle, and one has the silhouette of an elk. These have been listed for sale in the Etsy Shop. They would make great Father’s Day presents for any gun collector, hunter or sportsman. I also listed a couple of Proud to be a Union Thug can wraps.

Speaking of Proud to be a Union Thug, my friend, Sandy, says that she believes I am the first to do the slogan in embroidery. There are some sites with the slogan in screen printing but I’m the only one with embroidery and I think the only one with the slogan on can wraps. Google it and see. If you know any union members, please direct them to me or to our Etsy Store. I sure would appreciate it.

Speaking of referrals, if you refer a customer to Cajun Stitchery and they hire us, you will get a 10% discount on your next embroidery order. Just make sure you remind me.

This past Wednesday I was able to join my Wednesday night girls. I’ve missed Wednesday nights for 2 or 3 weeks. It was good getting back in the groove with my girls. Since I was bringing some items for various girls, I brought my new collapsible, hounds tooth market basket to carry the items. Some of the girls were looking at the market basket and we were talking about Sharon and her zebra print purchases. The vendor that I used for my basket and Sharon’s items does not carry the market baskets in solid colors. All of their market baskets are prints. However, I have another vendor that carries the solid colors, as well as some prints. These baskets are canvas and do not have the zipper pocket on the inside. While browsing through this vendor’s online shop, I found they have a whole bunch of zebra print items that the other store did not. In addition to the regular market basket, they have a mini market basket that is the next size down from the regular size and they also carry a selection of vinyl market baskets. They do carry the market baskets in purple. I was thinking how cool that would be to put krewe logos on purple market baskets. If I order from this company, I may just get myself a purple market basket for the Mardi Gras season. Ooooo, I could get one for each season; red, white and blue for patriotic picnics; red and green to carrying Christmas gifts and food items; orange and black for Halloween candy; and pastel colors for Easter baskets. If I’ve learned nothing else from my Nereids, I have learned that my attire must match. We could have baskets in every color to match our outfits. These baskets would also be great for business logos, which is exactly what I’m going to put on my market basket.

George is busy doing electrical work in the house next door. It is slow going when you are the only one remodeling an entire house but he is doing a fabulous job. I’m so proud of him.

Our sago palm had babies last fall and George potted them. We planted all that we wanted in our yard and had 8 or 9 left over. Last week I posted on Facebook that I was giving them away to anyone who wants to come and get them. There were a few people interested but when they learned that I live in Warrington, they never showed up. I just hate to throw them away. People pay good money for sago palms in Florida. My friend, Paulette, wants all of them. So, I will bring the sago palms to Paulette next Wednesday night. I’m so glad they are going to have a home.

The garden is beautiful this year. The carrots are ready to harvest. The tomatoes and peppers have flowers. We are harvesting garlic and onions everyday. I love to garden.

This week’s sale is an adjustable can wrap with your name or initials embroidered for only $5.00.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

Thank you Kathi for sending the following joke:

The judge had just awarded a divorce to Boudreaux’s wife, Marie, who had charged non-support. He said to Boudreaux, "I have decided to give your wife $400 a month for support." "Well, dat's fine, Judge," said Boudreaux. "And once in a while I'll try to chip in a few bucks, myself."

==================================================

French Phrase of the Week: The following was taken from LSU.edu regarding Cajun french differing from other french:

Here we have le déjeuner in the morning. (Traditionally in rural families, there was nothing petit about it. Folks needed sustenance after doing their early morning chores. The big meal of the day, le dîner, was taken at noon. This was because it was too hot to cook in the afternoon, and also because most farm families provided a noon meal for their hired hands.) In the evening, we still eat our souper. French Canadians use the same terms we do.

===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment