Monday, May 2, 2011

Will, Kate, and the Kentucky Derby


Several of the girls and I returned yesterday from a wonderful and relaxing weekend in Mexico Beach.  I feel so full of inspiration and totally revitalized.  If you have never been to Mexico Beach, Florida, I highly recommend it.  It is a slice of old Florida; a true artist's paradise.

The Etsy store has been listing several new handkerchiefs for Mother's Day.  Please do not forget your mother on Mother's Day, which is May 8th this year.

There are so many fresh ideas that I don't think I can get them all down at once.  If you saw Will and Kate's wedding, you won't be surprised to know that hats are back.  In fact, one of my friends is going to the Kentucky Derby this week and she has been hat shopping.  That's a pretty big deal in Kentucky.  I love those beautiful, wide brimmed, antebellum hats, but the truth is that I have a very short neck and the wide brimmed hats look ridiculous on me.  I look much better in a pill box type hat or a hat without a brim.  I am thinking about trying my hand at a little millinary.

The other news of the day is Osama Bin Laden's death.  George just got home from some errand running and says the whole town is full of red, white and blue.  Yes, it's that time of the year to wear the red, white and blue.  Memorial Day is this month and, at least around here, we are celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation.

If you want to play around with hat making, here's a simple, basic pattern.  Measure your head from ear to ear, across the top of your head.  Then measure your head from the back/crown of your head to your forehead.  Cut a rectangular piece of fabric with those measurements.  Either gather the long back edge of the rectangle, or cut a circle of fabric and gather the long back edge around the circle.  Now you have a basic bonnet.  Use your imagination from here.  Add lace and frills.  Don't forget to add ribbon to tie around your chin.  A single ply fabric will be very floppy.  Try cutting two pieces of fabric for the rectangle and/or circle and sandwich some newspaper or stabilizer in the middle for added stability.  Have fun with it:>)

C'est tout, mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment