Friday, June 10, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 23

Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 23 – JUNE 10, 2011


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often. We are also on Twitter and Facebook.

Before I go any further, someone named Mary emailed me this week and asked to be removed from this newsletter list. I tried every way that I know to figure out which Mary it was that wants to be removed. I could not find the last name, or even the email address. It just kept coming up as Mary. I replied to sender asking for her name so that I could remove her from the list but I have not received a reply. If you wish to be removed from the emailing list, please do let me know but please, please, let me know your name and email address. Mary, I apologize if your name has not been deleted. Please let me know which Mary you are – we have several on the list.

As I made my costume for the Fiesta Ball, I posted photos and comments on the blog, as well as Facebook. I had no idea so many people were following this costume creation. As the very last touch to the costume, on Wednesday, I embroidered a little evening bag made from the fabric in my costume. The embroidery design was the Blue Angels with “100th Anniversary” and “Naval Aviation.” Wednesday evening arrived and, although I haven’t seen any really good pictures of George and me together, we made a really cute couple. Looking back, of course, I would have changed a few things but the costumes worked and we had a fabulous time. By the way, George made his own belt out of blue, white and red striped webbing and a rhinestone flag belt buckle. He looked great!

As we arrived at the ball, we met our friends, Morrie, Kathi, Paulette, and Deb outside. Kathi brought the blinking items and I was completing the costume outside the front door. Yes, I adorned the red, white and blue tinsel wig with the blinking, plastic, red, silver and blue tiara. There were several necklaces placed around my neck. All were red, white and blue and blinking. Then we attached pins. Then came the white boa with the blinking lights. Except for the basic costume that I made, Kathi, Paulette and I were adorned the same. Well, Paulette didn’t wear the tinsel wig. Finally, we were all dressed and ready to make our entrance.

This is an all krewe ball, so don’t think we were the only ones in costume. Oh, no. There were fabulous costumes from the Myoki Indians with all of their feathers to the very formal and elegant gowns and tuxedos. There were pirates and Alice in Wonderland costumes. Kings and Queens of all of the krewes were announced. It was quite a sight.

Once we entered, we found the Krewe of Junkanoo table. You can’t miss the Krewe of Junkanoo because they are such a rowdy bunch. Besides they were one of the first tables. To our surprise the Mystic Krewe of Nereids had a table next to the Krewe of Junkanoos. It goes without saying that putting those 2 tables so close was the beginning of a rip roaring good time. We kept mentioning that some of our people were missing. Nevertheless, we got our drinks and more and more of our krewe arrived.

My mother always taught me to mingle with crowds and this event was no different. During my mingling, I found our lost friends on the other end of the room. The Krewe of Wrecks (our mother krewe) was on the other end of the room. Some were disappointed that their table wasn’t with our table. Not me. Traveling back and forth between tables gave me the opportunity to meet people and have a good time.

The band stopped and the various krewes performed their dances. They were all so good. People unfamiliar with Krewes usually don’t understand the effort and expense that goes into costumes, dances, floats, pins, beads, and a myriad of things. I think most Krewes, at least around here, meet monthly, all year round. There’s a lot of work involved.

While watching performances and mingling, a nice couple asked to take my picture. I obliged; then headed for our krewe table. Shortly, afterwards the same gentleman approached me and said, “Please don’t leave. You are going to win for the best individual costume.” I asked his name and he said, “Glenn.” Sure enough, after announcing the winner of the krewe performances, I was announced as the winner for best individual costume. I wish I had been a bit more sober at the time so I could savor the moment. As luck would have it, I wasn’t. Did Glenn know what an honor that was for me? Out of all of the wonderful costumes in the room, I was singled out. Did Glenn watch me make this costume on the internet? So many people approached me at the ball saying that they watched as the costume was made. Well, Glenn, whoever you are, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Finally, the evening came to a close. The memories of this wonderful Fiesta Ball will be with me forever.

When George and I arrived home from the Ball, there was a huge box at our front door. The market baskets arrived from a new vendor. These market baskets are canvas and really nice. Right now, in stock, we have black, red, purple, navy blue, royal blue, hot pink, and black with white polka dots. These are all regular size market baskets and the price, without embroidery, ranges from $22 to $28, each. We also have some hot pink mini market baskets for $14, each, without embroidery. There is a black laptop case($24), a black with white polka dot carryall($14), some blue and white striped canvas purses ($8 each), hot pink purses($8 each), hot pink mini purses($6 each), and a brown purse($8 each). I’ll embroider a monogram (name or initials) for $5.00.

The market baskets have a bunch of uses.

• One customer said they are perfect for a beach tote.

• They make great personalized gifts or gift baskets.

• With your logo embroidered, they are a wonderful advertising tool. If you are like me and always seem to carry a bag with my wares, picking up or delivering items, your logo embroidered on the basket is ideal and unique. It’s an eye catcher.

• Recent embroidery on a market tote was done by embroidering the outline of the word “Mine” and then filling the word with rhinestones. It turned out beautifully.

• They also make great picnic baskets. Include a set of matching cloth napkins, a tablecloth, some personalized can wraps, and an assortment of picnic items and you have a great gift. These totes have two mesh pockets on either end on the inside of the basket, as well as plastic feet and a luggage grip. A red market basket with blue or white embroidery, filled with red, white and blue napkins, tablecloth, can wraps, and other picnic items for your 4th of July picnic would be very patriotic.

• Another really great idea is a wedding gift with the names of the bride and groom and the date of the wedding embroidered on the basket. Fill it with household items, linens, or picnic items.

• And don’t forget that this makes a great diaper bag for mom. Embroider the baby’s name on the side. Fill it with diapers, blankets, bottles, and an assortment of baby items. Pink for girls; blue for boys.

• Fill it with your cleaning items and take it from room to room as you clean the house.

• Same with gardening items. Don’t forget to include a pretty little apron.

• The possibilities are endless.

We now have the red, white and blue stripe, and the blue, white and red stripe webbing, 1.25” wide. There are more rhinestone flag buckles. If you are interested in a pretty terrific Father’s Day gift, George will make the patriotic belt for $10 each. Just let us know the waist size. About 6 inches are added to the waist size for proper adjustment of the belt. Better hurry because Father’s Day is on June 19th.

SALE: Good through next Thursday, June 16th. Adjustable can wrap with your name or initials embroidered for $5 each. They usually sell for $7 each or $5 each when purchasing 10 or more. Never lose your drink again.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

Thank you Kathi for sending the following joke:

Boudreaux bought his wife Marie a piano for her birthday. A few weeks later, Fontenot inquired how she was doing with it.

"Oh," said Boudreaux, "I persuaded her to switch to a clarinet." "How come?" asked Fontenot. "Well," Boudreaux answered, "because with a clarinet she can't sing."

==================================================

French Phrase of the Week: The following was taken from LSU.edu:

C’est un beau temps. (It’s nice weather out.) ===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment