Tuesday, June 7, 2011

To Market, To Market

I finished the blue, floor length skirt with an elastic waistband.  Elastic just so much more comfortable.  Besides, I found I had some wide elastic which is really comfy.  After the skirt, I cut out the red vest and decided to make it reversible with the blue fabric from the skirt.  The vest pattern had to be altered a bit to fit me but it worked out fine.  After cutting out the pattern, the edges were serged and the shoulder and side seams were sewn for both the red and blue fabric.  Then, right side to right side, I sewed all around the vest and turned it inside out via the arm holes.  I ironed the vest and pinned the arm holes.  I decided to hand sew the arm holes, although sewing on the machine would have been fine.  The costume was constructed.

Ahhh, you may think that's it.  Oh no.  Next comes the embellishment.  I decided white stars would be appropriate, especially since the bobbin thread is white.  I embroidered a row of white stars on each side of the vest.  Because the bobbin thread is also white, the stars also appear on the blue reversible side of the vest.  Cool, huh?  Then I decided I wanted stars on the skirt.  Rather than a row of stars around the bottom of the skirt, I've decided a few rows of white stars up and down, like on the vest.

Then I decided to sew a pearl in the center of each star.  That's where I am now.  This may be the end of it but we won't know until tomorrow.

Yesterday, I also embroidered a market basket for a customer.  She wanted the word "Mine" embroidered in a pretty script.  I suggested that we do the word in an outline script and fill with rhinestones.  She loves her market basket now. 

I need to get back to my pearl sewing.

C'est tout, mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment