Friday, August 12, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 32






Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 32 – August 12, 2011



Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.



ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook.

Did I ever tell the story of my Aunt Philo’s birthday present to me when I was a little girl in Lafayette?  Mama always taught us that when we are speaking to Philo that we should look at her directly to her face and enunciate every syllable clearly because she was deaf.  Now I loved my Aunt Philo.  I believe I probably spent more time with her than my sister did.  Philo would take me places or babysit with me.  She was, by far, my favorite aunt.  I was very aware that people talked with her using their hands and sign language.  I was never taught sign language.  She would read my lips, which is why it was so important for me to speak to her face-to-face.  For awhile we lived at 612 St. Johns St.  Mama let me have a birthday party that year and all of my friends, including my cousin Vicky, who was living with us at the time, were invited to the party.  In the middle of the festivities Philo dropped by with a present for my birthday.  I remember Mama calling me away from the party to see Aunt Philo.  I even remember the present.  She handed me a little white plastic purse containing panties.  Each pair of panties was a different color and had a day of the week embroidered.  Ha!  Even then I loved embroidery.  That was just the greatest present in the world to me.  I’ve always been an emotional person and this moment struck me with the love and kindness of my aunt.  I was overwhelmed with love and appreciation and I wanted to say thank you, but thank you wasn’t enough to encompass my emotions.  I wanted to say thank you in her language.  So, while looking at her face-to-face and enunciating every syllable, I placed my little 7 year old hands in front of her face and balling my hands into fists that immediately flung opened with fingers outstretched as wide as they would go and repeating this action several times, I yelled at her “THANK YOU AUNT PHILO.”  My Aunt Philo is, I believe, 92 years old and quite a remarkable woman.

The krewe was in need of some tiny appliqués of a seashell.  I made them.  While embroidering the less than 1 inch seashells, I began thinking that these tiny appliqués might be nice for scrap bookers.  I don’t know since I don’t scrapbook.  However, I think I may make a few tiny appliqués for the upcoming 4th Annual Pensacola Beach Arts & Wine Festival the first weekend in October.

That reminds me that I have my entry fee, registration and appropriate photographs neatly in an envelope to send to the beach Chamber of Commerce.  I will probably need to drive over there today.  Perhaps I can mail it and they won’t mind if it is a day or two past the deadline when they receive it.  Heck, they know I will have my booth since I have talked with them about it.  This year the festival will have a few changes.  The change that impacts me the most is location.  Rather than scattered all over the island, the vendors will be centrally located at either the Visitor’s Center or SRIA.  I believe this was a request from the vendors over the years.  I think it is a good move.  Additionally, there will be security so that the vendors do not need to take down their tents/booths each evening.  I don’t mind taking down the booth and putting it back up in the morning.  It isn’t that difficult a thing to do and we’ll probably do it anyway.  However, I do understand that this could be an issue and I applaud the Chamber for these changes.  Of course, the other change is that there is now a registration fee.  I don’t mind paying it.  It is not outrageous and they have to pay for the security.  It is my understanding that vendors are still allowed outside of the businesses on the island and neighborhoods for free.  They just won’t get the security and inclusion in the list of vendors.  Please mark your calendars for the first weekend in October.  The trolleys will be running so just park and ride.  The musicians’ festival and wine tasting will all be included in this Arts & Wine Festival.  Cajun Stitchery will have some of the usual items for sale but I do plan on including some new things.  Come out and join us.

We received a shipment of XL Fruit of the Loom, Adult, short sleeve, tee shirts this week in a variety of colors.  I chose XL because that tends to be the size most often ordered.  Of course, I can get you whatever size you like.  The colors that we have are:  athletic heather, black, forest green, Kelly, khaki, J. Navy, pacific blue, royal blue, true red, and white.  Tee shirts make great gifts and everyone can use them.  So, if you are planning for Christmas, think about giving a tee shirt with a name or monogram embroidered.  Of course, we can embroider anything you like.  Just remember the old saying that the sweetest sound is your own name.  Give a tee to someone with their nickname or special term of endearment embroidered on it.  So what, if you don’t have the entire logo digitized; get a tee with the name of your company anyway.  (If there are enough responses for other sizes, I might get that size next time.)

SALE:  In stock XL Fruit of the Loom, Adult, short sleeve, tee shirts with a name or monogram for $10.00 plus shipping/sales tax.  Sale is good until we run out of stock.  See above paragraph for available colors.

Don’t forget the upcoming Mystic Krewe of Nereid’s annual Splash Party.  The Splash Party will be held on Sunday, August 28th, beginning at 2:00 p.m., at Paradise Bar & Grill on Pensacola Beach.  Mark your calendars.  It’s going to be a real S-P-L-A-S-H.

Last night George and I met some friends for dinner at a local restaurant, The Oar House.  When we first moved to Pensacola there was still one last drawbridge.  That drawbridge connected Warrington (where we live) with the City of Pensacola.  Since that time the old drawbridge has been removed and a fancy bridge was constructed in another area connecting the two land masses.  The Oar House was built on the Pensacola side of the old drawbridge.  There is an outside restaurant as well as an inside restaurant.  In fact, a musician friend, Tim Spencer, frequently entertains at The Oar House.  The restaurant bridges the gap between a local marina and the site of the old drawbridge.  So, while dining outside, you also get to look at all of the nice boats.  There is yet another uniqueness to The Oar House: they allow dogs.  Last night our friends, Shelley and Richard, brought their dog, Amber Lee.  She is such a sweet dog, a Chesapeake Retriever.  Of course, her collar is made by Cajun Stitchery.  Since The Oar House is so close to our house, we arrived earlier than Shelley and Richard.  While getting our table and waiting on our friends, another friend from the beach walks up.  She happened to be joining some of her friends for dinner, as well.  The rain had passed earlier in the day and the evening was very pleasant.  Amber Lee watched ducks swimming by with longing in her eyes.  She was very well behaved.  All in all, it was a delightful evening with good friends.

Speaking of dogs and animals.  We have lots of stock designs of dogs, cats, horses, and all kinds of animals.  Just sayin…

A friend of mine at WBL (Women’s Business Lunch) is a sales rep for a local publishing company.  Among other things, the publishing company publishes the local Bar Directory.  Talk about being at the right place, at the right time.  Poo Yie!  They had to go to press on the directory but still had a page for advertisement that had not been purchased.  The bottom line is that I was able to purchase ½ page ad for a great price.  I am so excited.  I know from working in local law offices that the Bar Directory is used frequently throughout the year by both lawyers and their staff.  So, for all of my legal friends out there, keep an eye out for Cajun Stitchery’s ad in the new Bar Directory.  Let me know what page it’s on and what attorney you have to look up in order to see my ad.

Also, a local radio station, 1620, has been letting small businesses call in and talk about their business for free each Tuesday morning from 6-9.  This past Tuesday, I received a voice mail that the radio station had called Cajun Stitchery.  I missed it but have since arranged that they will call me next Tuesday morning from 6-9.  It is one of those things that is a really good thing for Cajun Stitchery and no so good for Peggy.  Peggy is not a morning person.  I take after my mother.  Next Tuesday Peggy will simply have to be a morning person.  So, I’m making notes of things to say and ideas to cover.  This will also be a good practice for next month’s WBL when I have to give a 5 minute oral commercial for Cajun Stitchery.

CHRISTMAS is around the corner.  Unbelievable, I know.  Get that Christmas shopping done now and enjoy the holidays.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 





The following is taken the book Gumbo Ya-Ya, Chapter 13, Buried Treasure:

“There sure is plenty of treasure buried in Louisiana, but you gotta be care of them spirits.  They do some funny things.  I knew one real well what would come to my house all the time.  He would get behind a door and milk a towel, and all the cows in the neighborhood would go dry.”

“All buried treasure has got spirits watching over it.  Like Lafitte.  You know how he used to do?  He would take five or six men along to hide his stuff, and he would tell them all but one who he was gonna have kilt.  The one he picked was the one what would be the spirit to watch his treasure forever.  After they buried all the old and silver and jools, Lafitte would say very quiet, ‘Now, who’s gonna guard my stuff?’ and the man who didn’t know no better would want to shine with his boss and he’s say, ‘I will.’  Then he would get kilt…”

Cajun French Phrase of the Week:

E ou ce qu'il reste= Where does he live?
E you ce qu't'as mit mon chapeau?= Where did you put my hat?
Qui c'est q'ca? = Who's that?
Par en sous=sneaky






===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis



Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462




P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment