Friday, October 28, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 43





Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 43 – October 28, 2011



Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.



ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com, and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



We had several orders last week for bags with the Cajun saying and Teaching is a Work of Heart.  All orders have been filled and shipped.

Last Monday I met my friend from MADD for lunch at The Coffee House to give her the table runner that I made.  As we were standing at the counter placing our order, we were commenting on the beautiful antique photographs on the wall of a turn of the century wedding.  The photos were family photos of the owner.  My friend and I were both commenting on our own weddings and each of us wished we had more and better photographs.  The young lady who was waiting on us mentioned that she is getting married on November 6th.  My friend and I clicked into motherly mode and began asking questions.  The young waitress is from a small town outside of Boston and her family cannot attend the wedding.  She has been living with her husband-to-be for 7 years and they have decided to get married in their little church in Foley, Alabama.  They have nothing to speak of and are living with her in-laws to be.  We asked if she had a wedding gown and she said, no, they are just going to stay after church that day and get married.  She was still saving her money to get him a wedding band.  At that point, we began serious meddling.  We didn’t want her to be our age and regretting not having enough pictures or having the wedding of her dreams.  We began speculating that certainly someone has a wedding gown they could loan her.  You only wear those gowns once.

Thus began the search.  When I got home, I put out a message on Facebook with my WBL group about the situation and that we are looking for a wedding gown in a size 6-8 for this young lady.  Before the day was out, my sweet peep and business consultant contacted me and was having her wedding gown shipped here from her mother for the bride. 

The Facebook message took on a life of its own and I put the message out for all of my Facebook friends.  Another friend messaged that WBL has a Pay it Forward Wedding Program where girls put all of their wedding décor and the like in the program and whoever needs it can help themselves.  Down the road they help someone else.

We had offers of deals on wedding bands and all sorts of things.  My friend got in touch with the pastor of the church who said that the congregation was planning a surprise reception after the wedding.

Another friend, a hairdresser, has both the bride and groom coming in that morning to have her hair done and he gets a hair cut.

It seemed like everything was falling into place but if the bride is going to wear this gorgeous gown (we now have the gown), then we don’t want the groom showing up in jeans.  So, we got some measurements from the bride for the groom’s size and began trying to find a tux for him.  I must say that the generosity was overwhelming.  No one seemed to have his size in a tux.  Facebook friends began saying that if we could get a deal from one of the local tuxedo rentals, then whoever would like, could call the tuxedo rental company and charge whatever amount they could on their credit cards for this young man’s tux.  The problem with that offer is that you don’t know how much of a bill will be remaining for the groom to pay. 

Today, I have spoken with both the bride and groom.  I should be meeting with her today to give her the gown.  They keep telling me that he is more of a suit jacket and jeans guy.  That simply will not do; not with this gown. 

To top off the generosity, a dear friend of mine who is literally at her ailing mother’s bedside in Idaho, called to say she knows the owner of a local tuxedo rental store and is going to place a call and have the owner call me to make the arrangements for the tux.  My friend, who owns an entertainment/DJ business, told me that if she was here, she would provide the music and entertainment.

I love people.  Given an opportunity, people always rise to the occasion.  This week’s kindness and generosity has been pretty overwhelming.

As if that wasn’t enough human kindness for one week, there was more.  I knew that one of our neighborhood friends was having a birthday this week.  His wife emailed me and wanted to give him a surprise party, but, as it turned out, another neighbor had a birthday this week, too.  The plan was that we would get the neighborhood together at my house and hide them in the back yard.  When our birthday boy walks by (via a devious plan between his wife and mother-in-law), I would call him over to show him something.  Once he was on my deck, everyone would jump out and say “Surprise.”  This plan worked perfectly.

The second part of the plan was that when we bring out the birthday cake, we would sing “Happy Birthday” to both birthday boys.  The cake had both names on it.  Thus, we had the second birthday surprise.  Again, the plan worked perfectly.

We had appetizers, lasagna, salad, garlic bread, birthday cake and lots and lots of wine.  Not only was the first birthday boy surprised, but neither of them expected the second surprise.  They both received birthday cards and gifts and our neighbor that plays guitar played as we all sang songs.  We had a fire in the chiminea.  We ended up with about 12 people at the party.  It was an absolutely perfect evening.

Before I forget, I still have the box for non-perishable food for the homeless shelters.  If you are in the area, drop off some non-perishables.  The food drive is going on to December.

All cell phone holders in our Etsy store are half price ($5.00), so stop by www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com and get some cute cell phone holders as gifts for Christmas.

CHRISTMAS is around the corner.  Get that Christmas shopping done now and enjoy the holidays.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 
===============================================================

Thank you Marshall Larrivere for the following:

Father Murphy walks into a bar on Bourbon Street,

and asks the first man he meets, “Do you want to go to heaven?”

The man said, “I do, Father.”

The priest said, “Then stand over there against

the wall.”

Then the priest asked the second man, “Do you want

to go to heaven?”

“Certainly, Father,” the man replied.

“Then stand over there against the wall,” said the

priest.

Then Father Murphy walked up to Thibodaux and

asked, “Do you want to go to heaven?”

Thibodaux said, “No, I don't Father.”

The priest said, “I don't believe this. You mean

to tell me that when you die you don't want to go to heaven?”

Thibodaux said, “Oh, when I die, yes. I thought

you were getting a bunch together to go right now.”

=================================================================

C’est tout, mes amis



Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462




P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment