Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cajun Corner - Vol. 4, No. 16


Cajun Corner – Vol. 4, No. 16 – April 29, 2012

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com, and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



We survived the wreck with a bruise on my arm and George jamming his little finger.  We are fine.  George’s vehicle, however, was totaled.  This week was spent dealing with car dealers and insurance companies.  Having spent a significant number of years as a paralegal in personal injury law firms, I am aware that a person rarely comes out ahead.  We were lucky that the other vehicle was covered by insurance.  The haggling over the value of our vehicle was very stressful.  We looked all over the internet at local car dealerships for vehicles the same year and condition as ours.  There simply were none.  So, we tried to find newer models in the same condition, mileage, etc.  We found a few that were close but none with the low mileage.  It turned out that the insurance company took into consideration Craig’s List.  That was so wrong in our book but according to the Florida Insurance Commissioner it is totally legal.  They found 2005 Outlanders on Craig’s List and south Florida with odometer readings of 100,000 up.  Our vehicle had 35,000 miles and we had bought it new – one owner.    In the end, we were told that we had to return the rental car by Monday, April 30th, whether or not we had another vehicle.  They did come up in their price a little.  Our local dealership told me to share the NADA value for our car with them.  They said that didn’t matter to them.  So, we have spent days searching for a vehicle.  As of yesterday we have a new replacement vehicle.  We had to throw in some of our money but the fact is that we need a safe vehicle.  Hopefully, the check will arrive tomorrow and we can make this part of our life a memory.

Needless to say neither George nor I accomplished a lot of work last week.

A friend of mine has a chocolate mint plant.  She told me that it smells like chocolate and has a taste similar to a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie.  That is George’s favorite cookie.  I bought one of the plants online today.  It should be delivered in about 10 days and is guaranteed to grow.  Mint usually grows like weeds and I’m hoping the same is true with this plant.

Last week I did meet with a friend for lunch.  She is an acupuncture physician and an herbalist.  During our conversation we were talking about the stevia that I grow.  She told me how to take the dried and powdered stevia, put it in a coffee filter over a cup, and pour boiling water over it to create a fusion.  That’s probably not the right word.  It works.  It created a liquid stevia that I can actually use in my coffee without little green particles floating to the surface.  Now if I can get the chocolate mint plant to grow, I’ll be able to have my own, organic Starbuck’s coffee. 

It did come to my attention this week that I’ve been very neglectful with our Etsy store.  I embroidered a beautiful handkerchief using a silky-type pink fabric with pink thread.  The handkerchief is embroidered with one of our stock designs flipped over to create the square.  The edges were sculpted to conform to the edges of the design.  It turned out so pretty that I made another one for myself.  That worked out so well that I took another design and copied the design to create 4 edges and with the same pink on pink, embroidered another beautiful handkerchief that I will be listing in our Etsy store.  Things were going so well with this idea that I used a lace design, same pink on pink, but not so lucky this time.  The handkerchief turned out beautiful on the front but the reverse side has the tear away stabilizer pretty much in there permanently.  I tried picking out the stabilizer but it takes a ridiculously long time and still cannot get it all.  Stay tuned though, because I have some other ideas for the lace.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 



Two Trees and a Woodpecker

It is hard to find a joke today without a dirty word or two in it, but here is one:

Two tall trees, a birch and a beech, are growing in the woods. A small tree begins to grow between them, and the beech says to the birch, 'Is that a son of a beech or a son of a birch?' The birch says he cannot tell, but just then a woodpecker lands on the sapling.

The birch says, 'Woodpecker, you are a tree expert. Can you tell if that is a son of a beech or a son of a birch?'

The woodpecker takes a taste of the small tree and replies, 'It is neither a son of a beech nor a son of a birch. It is, however, the best piece of ash I have ever poked my pecker into.

Now wipe that smile off your face.
..

Removing Splinters

Make a paste using water and about ¼ teaspoon of baking soda.  Put the paste on a bandage/band aid and put the band aid on the affected area.  Leave it on for 24 hours.  Take the Band aid off.  If the splinter is visible pull it out with tweezers.  If not visible re-apply the baking soda paste and Band aid for another 24 hours.

For more detailed instructions go to: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Splinter-with-Baking-Soda

=================================================================

C’est tout, mes amis



Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462




P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment