Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cajun Corner - Vol. 4, No. 17

 

Cajun Corner – Vol. 4, No. 17 – May 5, 2012



Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.



ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com, and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



Thank goodness the wreck is now only a memory.  George is working on getting the little things on the new vehicle repaired.  He is meticulous about his vehicles, which is one of the reasons the loss of the other vehicle was so disappointing.

We are back to work.  Several items were embroidered this week and it feels good getting back to work. 

If you live in or near Mary Esther or Navarre, FL and need medical help, I highly recommend Dr. Sheryl Roe.  Sheryl is an acupuncture physician, RN, MS, DOM.  I must admit that I have no clue what DOM is, but I know Sheryl and you are in good hands with her.  Sheryl is also a wealth of information about herbs.  She is also an herbalist.  Please visit her website at www.drsroe.com.   In fact, Sheryl is the one who explained to me how to use my stevia.  I am happy to report that, at least at home, I am totally off the pink stuff (Sweet N Low) in my coffee and now use only the stevia.  It either took some practice making it to get rid of the slight bitterness in the stevia or, I may simply have gotten used to it.  Nevertheless, the stevia is what I use now.  The side effect is the stevia is so much healthier for me and there is one more thing that I no longer have to purchase at the store.  Sheryl also has an e-newsletter.  The last one that I received had a lot about the effects of acupuncture on low back pain.  I know I have a lot of friends out there who have back pain and subscribe to pain management.  You should at least give Sheryl a call to discuss what she can do to help you.  Her phone number is (850) 225-3460; or, email her at sherylacudoc@yahoo.com.

My poor Tigger cat is not doing very well.  He has an appointment with the vet on Monday.  There is some sort of a growth in the back of his mouth/throat area causing excessive salivation.  Say a prayer for my sweet cat.  He was Mama’s favorite because he is loaded with personality.  If you have ever visited my house and stayed long enough for the cats to emerge, you may have experienced Tigger tapping you on the shoulder for a pet.

Planting the root end of the onions that we’ve used in the kitchen has provided an extra bounty in our garden.  Yes, it works.  I was also told that if I plant to top of the onion, that, too, will grow.  I’ve tried it but to no avail.  Also, I heard that the top of carrots.  That is one that I tried today.  We’ll see how that works.  When you are chopping an onion for dinner, save the bottom part with the roots and just put it in soil.  Yes, it is that easy.

Last week I showed a handkerchief that I made with lace embroidered corners where I used a tear away stabilizer.  The tear away did not work very well because of the tiny lace open areas.  This week I embroidered the same handkerchief using, instead, netting as the stabilizer.  It worked beautifully and that handkerchief is now on sale in our Etsy Store.  With the same method in mind, I designed a beautiful 10 inch round handkerchief with a beautiful design which we have in stock.  A few issues arose with the round hanky.  The first and main issue is that sewing in the round with open areas tend to cause puckering in the open areas.  I read an article about this a few years back.  However, I have a few ideas in mind to try to resolve this puckering issue which I will try out this week.  The handkerchief is still beautiful, just needs some tweaking.

I have been adding a few items in our Etsy Store this week.  The “Mama Mia” handkerchiefs are back in time for Mother’s Day.

We have also been working on dog collars this week.  I was going to make Tigger a cute leopard print collar but then realized that he has an open wound on his neck and probably should not put a collar on him until he heals.  Nevertheless, I still feel strongly that all dogs and cats should have collars with their names and owner’s telephone number.  Your pet may not be prone to running away but you never know when something unexpected may occur causing a separation.  As I’ve said before, the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan separated many families from their pets.  So many pets could have been re-united with their families if only they had something on them telling how to contact the owner.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 

I was remiss last week when I did not thank the person who submitted the joke.  Thank you to Paulette Provost for the Two Trees and a Woodpecker joke

Thank you to Sandra Goodman for furnishing this week’s joke:
 
Four Worms in Church
 
A Minister decided that a visual demonstration would add emphasis to his Sunday 
sermon.
 
Four worms were placed into four separate jars.
 
The first worm was put into a container of alcohol.
 
The second worm was put into a container of cigarette smoke.
 
The third worm was put into a container of chocolate syrup.
 
The fourth worm was put into a container of good, clean soil.
 
At the conclusion of the sermon, the Minister reported the following results:
 
The first worm in alcohol ... Dead.
 
 
The second worm in cigarette smoke ...Dead.
 
 
The third worm in chocolate syrup ... Dead.
 
 
The fourth worm in good, clean soil ... Alive.
 
So the Minister asked the congregation, "What did you learn from this 
demonstration?"
 
Maxine was sitting in the back and quickly raised her hand and said,
 
"As long as you drink, smoke, and eat chocolate, you won't have worms!"
 
That pretty much ended the service !!
=============================================

The following interesting tidbit comes from a newsletter from www.thetastefulgarden.com:

Water-soluble fertilizers, such as Miracle Gro, were originally developed for growing in greenhouses. We do not recommend them for use in your garden as they can wash away and pollutes ground water. They can also create salt buildup in your garden soil which keeps the plants from getting the nutrients they need. Using natural fertilizers, such as worm castings, leaves, and compost creates a living soil with good bacteria, micro-organisms, and insects that work to break down organic material into nutrients for your plants. Many good organic fertilizers are available and should always be used in place of water soluble types.

Note:  A friend of mine who is a master gardener in Alabama has given me similar advice in the past.

=================================================================

C’est tout, mes amis



Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462




P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment