Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cajun Corner - Vol. 4, No. 43

 

Cajun Corner – Vol. 4, No. 43 – November 11, 2012

 

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

 

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit us at www.cajunstitchery.com, www.flickr.com/photos/cajunstitchery, and, www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



George and I were sitting in the living room late Saturday afternoon, watching a little television, when the door bell rang.  There were two little girls who looked to be between the ages of 8 and 11 asking if we had any left over candy.  They said they were “re-trick or treating.  They were turned away – George ate all of the candy.   And what’s this re-trick or treating?

Saturday afternoon I traveled to Navarre for my friend’s garage sale.  It was really a fund raiser for her sister-in-law who has been diagnosed with cancer.  I ended up with many items.  A young girl, perhaps 8 or 9, was having a bake sale for the fund raiser.  I inquired about the price of her cupcakes.  She said, “50 cents.”  I asked her how many she had.  She said, “all those in the carrier.”  I asked her how many were in her carrier.  She said, “I don’t know.  You’re not going to buy all of them.”  I told her that I was thinking about buying all of them.  She said, “There are 12 cupcakes in each carrier, but you can’t buy the chocolate ones.  I want those.”  I bought George 12 carrot cake cupcakes because I couldn’t buy the chocolate ones. Hahahaha!

This week I noticed my niece selling her soaps on Facebook.  She wasn’t just advertising but selling, as well.  She has a Facebook store.  Once I looked into it, there is a new feature on Facebook where you can connect to your Etsy store and sell those items directly on Facebook.  You know I did this.  So, now if you want to purchase items, you have a choice of purchasing at Facebook or Etsy. 

As I continue to practice my digitizing skills, this week I digitized a complete, A to Z, monogram alphabet.  It is pretty boxy, but it is my first attempt at digitizing monogram sets.  Nevertheless, it looks pretty cool.  George named it “Classy Cajun”.

Last Wednesday the girls gave me a birthday party.  The bling that came out of those packages was simply blinding but delightful.  I felt like a princess with all of the shiny presents.  It was a wonderful evening.

Friday we were scheduled to attend a neighbor’s retirement ceremony.  He retired from the Air Force.  I’ve never been to a military retirement ceremony and really looked forward to this event.  George and I got ourselves all pretty.  Another friend was picking us up.  We got to the entrance of NAS and the military lady that checked us in said, “Go straight down this road until you reach the T.  It is next to the Officers Club, I think.”  The “I think,” concerned us.  We went down the road until we came to a dead end with an intersecting road.  We didn’t see any signs for “Officer’s Club”, so we turned right.  We traveled for awhile and didn’t see any gathering of cars or people.  We turned around and drove that way until we reached an “Authorized Personnel Only” sign.  We passed a whole group of guys jogging in orange shirts.  We stopped a red truck containing another military fellow, but he didn’t know where the pavilion was located.  Then we went the other way, again.  By this time, the ceremony should have been nearly over. We never found the ceremony, so, we left.  After talking with our neighbor later, we apparently were right there and didn’t see it.  In fact, the young fellows jogging were right in front of the pavilion.

A lady contacted me via our blog page to inquire about the lap scarves that I made awhile back.  She wants me to make two of them.  This is the third time I’ve been contacted about making lap scarves.  I ought to make some and put them back on Etsy.

It is now evident that Mardi Gras is not too far away.  The first krewe order of the season arrived last week for a Bananimals logo on a white tux jacket.  Clothilde did a beautiful job on the jacket. 

This week our Amaya technician and friend plans to visit.  We are going to take her out to eat.  Every times she visits, we just stay at the house drinking wine and playing with the embroidery machine.  Although there is nothing wrong with that agenda, this time we want to take her someplace.  I think we’ll dine on the beach if the weather permits.  Then she and I can play with the embroidery machine.  In the meantime, I do need to clean up that messy room, the studio, because that is where she sleeps when she visits.

Thanksgiving is coming.  Can you believe it is just a week and a half away? 

Have a wonderful week.
If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 
No time to read Cajun Corner?  Visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com and click the Odiogo button to hear the computer read the blog.
* * *
HOMEMADE FURNITURE DUSTING SPRAY

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon essential oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
1-3/4 cups water
Spray bottle (16 oz size or larger)

Mix the ingredients in the order listed into your clean spray bottle. Shake well to mix. Spray onto wooden furniture and wipe off with a soft cloth to dust and clean the surface.

You may be wondering if the oil and water actually mix. The olive oil does want to rise to the top. I found it helpful to shake the spray bottle often while I was cleaning which was no big deal. A light olive oil might be even better in this recipe.

It’s Important to Label

Be sure to label any homemade cleaners that you make because otherwise they just look like some kind of watery mixture. Don’t rely on your memory. You need to make it clear to yourself and others what’s in the bottle. You can make your label with your computer printer, or with a label making machine, or just use a Sharpie marker. It’s also helpful to list the recipe right on the label and then you’ve made it super easy the next time you need to mix up a batch. I would also recommend you buy a new spray bottle rather than recycling one from a purchased cleaner so that you don’t have to worry about any residual chemicals getting into the mix.

* * *
C’est tout, mes amis
Peggy Henshall
Cajun Stitchery
(850) 261-2462
P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment