Monday, January 14, 2013

Cajun Corner - Vol. 5, No. 2


Cajun Corner – Vol. 5, No. 2 – January 13, 2013

 

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

 

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit us at www.cajunstitchery.com, www.flickr.com/photos/cajunstitchery, and, www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



This past week was full of puff embroidery.  Actually it was more the perils of the P.  We digitized a beautiful P monogram that was to puff.  Around the bottom of the P were some floral designs.  I guess they were too tiny and in a fill stitch, rather than a satin stitch.  Those little tiny pieces of foam just would not go away completely.  No matter how many times I stitched that thing out, there were little pieces of foam that refused to come off or hide beneath the thread.  By the end of the week, I just threw my hands in the air and decided this design just would not be a puff design.  A nice weekend away with the girls and I have a new plan for the P that I will try out.

As a business, you must be flexible.  The products in our Etsy store were going to be limited to scarves and handkerchiefs; however, those little in-the-hoop purses seem to sell very well.  At least so far they do.  The two little purses that have been listed each sold within a couple of weeks of the posting.  A third one was listed last week.  Time will tell how that goes.  The store may have three categories, rather than two.  The only thing that is bothersome about the little purses is the shoulder strap.  The shoulder strap should be strong enough but flexible, so webbing was used.  The webbing is attached using metal grommets.  The perfect place to attach the webbing would be on opposite sides of the purse but the seam gets in the way.  The strap has been placed in the back of the seam, in the front of the seam, on the inside of the purse and on the outside.  No one has complained so far about the placement but it does bother me.   

A friend of mine commented the other day that I was continuing Mama’s tradition.  Since Mama was known as Madame Queen, it is only proper that I should become Queen, too.  So far in my reign we have had a fabulous time.  The krewe is going to be my Court and each member has received a Royal title.  It is not fair that the King and Queen are the only ones with crowns, so, the krewe has each received a tiara from the Queen – much smaller than my crowns, of course.  That’s only proper.  Yesterday we went to Dynasty, which is a company in Mobile that sells rhinestone pins, jewelry, crowns, scepters, etc., to many krewes from Florida to Louisiana.  There I purchased my Krewe Krown.  It is a gorgeous fleur de lis crown.  The fleur de lis is my royal signature design.  This coming Friday evening is our Moon Pie Party.  It is open to the public, so everyone should come out to the Sandshaker on Pensacola Beach and join the festivities.

Speaking of crowns, when I purchased the tiaras for the krewe, I simply had to purchase another crown for me.  They were so pretty.  I have a cute little tiara that I’ve had for many years.  Well, to make a long story short, I now have 4 gorgeous crowns.  Frankly, I do picture a different crown for each day of the week.  Not to mention that they do look good on me.  I think my head was built to wear a crown.  I haven’t found one that wasn’t extremely comfortable.

Although my signature royal design is the fleur de lis, I thought it would be appropriate if I handed out smiles, rather than beads, for Mardi Gras.  I purchased little foam smiley faces in the shape of a star as my special hand out.  The intent is to spread smiles across the beach.

We are picking tomatoes and bell peppers in January.  Can you believe this weather?  This past weekend was shirt sleeve weather in the 60s and 70s.  

Last Thursday night was the Champagne Queen party at a friend’s home on the beach.  Everyone was to decorate their champagne glass and the winner received a prize.  One of the prizes was a little pink purse that Cajun Stitchery embroidered.  It was so cute.  A good time was had by all and we hope this party becomes an annual tradition.

This week we are going to begin embroidering caps for a really nice order that was received for a gentleman’s fraternity alumni.  The order is for 65 ball caps.  This may be our biggest ball cap order yet.  Can’t wait to get this one done.

J

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

J

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 
No time to read Cajun Corner?  Visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com and click the Odiogo button to hear the computer read the blog.
Found the following at:  http://www.printmyribbon.com/shipping

Dior Bow Tie





Materials: three yards of grosgrain ribbon, one 12 inch piece of grosgrain ribbon, one thin piece of ribbon or floral wire.


Step 1: Begin the Dior Bow Tie by winding the ribbon back and forth to form three loops. To do this, first form one loop. Holding the loop at its midpoint, wind the ribbon underneath to form another loop that is slightly larger than the first. Now hold both of the loops together at their midpoints and wind the ribbon underneath in the opposite direction to form a final loop, again slightly larger than the previous.


Step 2: To secure your loops, tie a knot around the midpoint with a thin piece of ribbon or floral wire.


Step 3: With a separate piece of ribbon about 12” long, wrap around the knot you just made, tying a double knot on the backside of the bow. Pull down a piece of the extra ribbon on each side of the bow to form the bow’s tails.


Step 4: Trim the tails to your desired length. Use crimping scissors to add a decorative finish on the ends of the tails.


Step 5: Attach the bow to your gift with double-sided tape or tie the bow directly to another ribbon on your package.

 
* * *
C’est tout, mes amis
Peggy Henshall
Cajun Stitchery
(850) 261-2462
P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment