Saturday, July 27, 2013

Cajun Corner - Vol. 5, No. 29


 
 
 

Cajun Corner – Vol. 5, No. 29 – July 27, 2013

 

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

 

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit us at www.cajunstitchery.com, www.flickr.com/photos/cajunstitchery, and, www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



As my Aunt Philo says, “Getting old isn’t for sissies.”  Last weekend I joined a couple of friends and we visited another friend in the hospital.  This isn’t something that I would like to do often; although, it did turn out to be a nice afternoon.  We went out to eat lunch and chit chat, then onto the hospital where our friend was in high spirits.  I suppose as we get older, hospital visits become more frequent.  Remember the Christmas Savings Accounts.  A news savings account for hospital flowers and gifts would be appropriate now.  Thank goodness our hospitalized friend is now home.

One of our friends arranged for Molly Maids to clean our friend’s home.  We are all sharing the cost.  This is such a wonderful idea.  I used to clean the house spotless before we would go on vacation simply because I hated coming home to a messy house.  It was so depressing returning from vacation to a messy house.  I’m sure our friend appreciates this gift of cleanliness upon her return from the hospital.

Another friend who has battled cancer has now been told that she is in partial remission.   There is no total remission for her type of cancer.  This is wonderful news to all who have walked down this road with her.  She has the best attitude of anyone I have ever known.  Even when the days were about as bad as they could get, it seemed as though something worse came along.  Through it all her attitude remained on a high note.  Watching my friend go through this terrible time in her life has assured me that a good attitude has healing properties beyond that of medical science.

The gnome mystery continues.  Now one of my friends shared that you can purchase gnome statues dressed in Saints attire.  Sure enough if you search for “Saints Gnome” you will find them for sale.  However, our gnominator remains a mystery.

Our Wednesday night girls night out has been cancelled the past few Wednesdays because our host was in the hospital.  This past Wednesday I offered to host our evening at the house next door, our new Cajun Stitchery studio.  There were about 11 or 12 of us and we had a fabulous time.  I provided the ham and the girls each brought an appetizer, dessert, or side dish.  The new stove was used for the first time and the new refrigerator that had been pretty much empty, now sports lots of leftovers.  Everyone got a tour and loved the house.  The “before” pictures were shown on my computer for comparison purposes.  Everyone agreed that George did a wonderful job remodeling that house.   Mama’s dishes and utensils were used.  I know that made her happy.  The evening was a total success.  Everyone enjoyed themselves.  The last car load left around midnight.

One of my friends who joined us Wednesday night told me that she was so proud that Kate and William named the new Royal baby after our own King George.  I like that.  When George was King of the Nereids, we would call him King George the dragon slayer.

I ordered a bolt of white organza fabric and it arrived this week.  It isn’t opened yet but I’m envisioning some really pretty items with it.

There is still a good deal of sewing and embroidery to do for our studio.  Curtains, shower curtains, table cloths, chair covers and rugs need to be made.  Towels need to be embroidered.  Mama’s double bed does not have a headboard.  George is going to make the headboard.  Since I’ve been digitizing and embroidering headboards lately, I thought that I should design an embroidered headboard for the double bed.  I digitized a 14” mermaid and stitched it out on one of the curtains.  It looks pretty good but still requires some tweaks.  We also need to get another mattress to raise bed higher off floor.

A friend ordered a photograph of three horses digitized and embroidered.  He calls them the Three Musketeers.  The horses belong to one of his friends.  This design was too difficult for me to digitize, so we sent it onto our digitizer.  The result is beautiful.  To achieve the shading, the design has several layers of varying colors.  The photograph was a bit dark and we simply used lighter colored thread to achieve the lighter coloring of the palominos.  It is funny that last week we embroidered a design for a young lady riding a horse in a barrel race and this week we are embroidering more horses.  The end result of embroidering the 5” wide design on a brief case.  It really turned out nice.  Since one of the stitch outs was on a bar rag which also turned out very nice, that was included in the order.  I enlarged the design to 10”, put an oval appliqué around it and stitched it onto a towel.  The towel may hang in one of our bathrooms at the studio. 

Looking at our Etsy store, we seem to sell handkerchiefs pretty regularly.  I wanted to embroider a handkerchief with a monogram within a frame.  The frame that was chosen is one of our heirloom designs and I used the letter P as the monogram.  Of course, any letter would go inside the frame.  As I stitched out this new handkerchief, I pondered a scalloped edge.  The scalloped edge handkerchief was digitized and stitched and works out rather nicely. 

The huge embroidery design is still coming along.  All of the pieces involved take a lot of time.  In the end it will be a work of art.

Almost any design can be embroidered on a beach towel, bath towel, hand towel, or any kind of towel.  They make wonderful gifts and are great for wherever towels are needed.  Imagine your monogram on a set of towels in your bathroom; all matching each other and embroidered using the color of the room. 


Have a wonderful week

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 

No time to read Cajun Corner?  Visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com and click the Odiogo button to hear the computer read the blog.

Thank you Helen Szymanski for the following:

An elderly couple had just learned how to send text messages on their cell phones.

The wife was a romantic type and the husband was more of a no-nonsense guy.

One afternoon the wife went out to meet a friend for coffee.

She decided to send her husband a romantic text message and she wrote:

"If you are sleeping, send me your dreams.
If you are laughing, send me your smile.
If you are eating, send me a bite.
If you are drinking, send me a sip.
If you are crying, send me your tears.
I love you."
The husband texted back to her: "I'm on the toilet.
Please advise."


Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462


P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment