Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cajun Corner - Vol. 5, No. 53


 

 
Cajun Corner – Vol. 5, No. 53 – November 10, 2013

 

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

 

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit us at www.cajunstitchery.com, www.flickr.com/photos/cajunstitchery, and, www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



Before we go any further, let us bow our heads and say a prayer for the people of the Philippine Islands.  The photos that I’ve seen are horrendous.  They remind me of Ivan and Katrina, only worse.

This past week was certainly a creative week at Cajun Stitchery.  I have a lace mask design that the girls absolutely love.  We had a survey on their likes and dislikes of the mask awhile back and since that time, I’ve tweaked the design as they suggested.  These girls are professional mask wearers.  As a business owner, the mask is pretty high in the stitch count and hence pretty pricey for a Mardi Gras mask.  However, it is gorgeous.  I looked only at Etsy and various searches to see what other embroiders were charging for the mask and if I decide to make and sell these masks, I’ll have to stay in the ball park of others who are selling this mask.  The ball park it turns out is $25.00.  Of course, the lace mask that I make has been tweaked and is a bit larger than the original design.

Personally, I do not like to wear masks.  They just are not comfortable to me.  The worst, of course, are the hard masks.  As we get older, glasses become an issue with masks.  We may be older but we still enjoy the masquerade.  I am not aware of a mask created for the visually impaired glass wearers.  I determined to create “the” mask.  In the process of doing so I was discussing this issue with the owner of our local Mardi Gras store.  She said that her krewe was having the same problem and if I do create Mardi Gras masks for glasses, she wants to see them and put them in her shop.

My first thought was that I need a really good basic mask design.  I took the lace mask design and used it more or less as an outline for an appliqué design.  It took a few tries and tweaks.  What I discovered was most masks have one tiny hole on either side for the ribbon or elastic that goes around the head.  I tried making the hole large enough for the arm of the glasses to go through.  The problem with that idea is that when you put the glasses with the mask on your face, the mask wiggles and just doesn’t fit snug.  I ended up with the idea of 2 holes on each side of the mask.  Each arm of the glasses goes in one hole and out the second hold; it weaves.  The second hole seems to stabilize the mask on the glasses.  The holes are created with the boring needle which creates an eyelet.

Something else that was an issue was keeping the mask sturdy enough.  The girls all mentioned that the lace mask was a bit flimsy.  From the beginning, rather than embroidering the lace mask as a freestanding lace mask, I used organza.  The sturdiness of the lace mask was rectified by using 4 layers of organza.  The sturdiness of the mask for glasses is fixed with the use of heavy stabilizer.

After several searches on Pinterest, Google, Bing, etc., I decided to make a butterfly mask.  There are some gorgeous masks out there.  My friend at the local Mardi Gras store absolutely loved the first butterfly mask and I have hopes of getting them in her shop.  Sure hope someone buys them.  By creating the mask as an appliqué, I am able to keep the stitch count down somewhat.  The butterfly mask should sell for about $15, depending on the detail work in the mask.  The first butterfly mask was made using purple velvet and purple thread.  Later butterfly masks incorporated metallic thread and other types of fabric.  Even though the mask is created to be used with glasses, they can also be used with ribbon or elastic connected in the holes.

Well, that’s as far as I’ve gotten on the masks.  I’d like to create several more designs, including a jester mask and fleur de lis mask.

Sometime around mid-week the glass panel in one of our bi-fold doors shattered.  George was a bit upset about it but I immediately decided that the broken bi-fold doors could be used in the Studio for display purposes.  George removed all of the glass in the one bi-fold door and painted it white.  It is perfect and now resides in the front room of the studio.  Some of our tee shirts are hanging on it.

Stores are all decorated for Christmas now.  Even the radio has begun playing non-stop Christmas music.  It is a bit early in my opinion but that’s what they are doing.  A friend of mine on Facebook owns a second hand store in Mobile and was decorating her store and taking photos.  I fell in love with some of her shabby chic Christmas designs and decided that I want to decorate the studio for Christmas and put out some of our stock in the front room.  The bi-fold door is already in there.  Our Christmas decorations need to come down from the attic and we need to separate out the decorations that we use at home and I’ll take the leftover decorations for the Studio.

One idea that I saw was “Believe.”  You’ve seen the signs and stuff with “Believe” on them.  I want to do shams with a single letter for the wall in the front room, spelling out “Believe.”  In my mind, it is beautiful.  I just need to figure out how to hang them.  It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Tomorrow Cajun Stitchery will be closed in honor of Veteran’s Day.  In fact, I’ll be in the beach parade all dressed in red, white and blue.

 

 

HAVE A NICE WEEK
If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 

No time to read Cajun Corner?  Visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com and click the Odiogo button to hear the computer read the blog.

Thank you Bob for the following:

Late one night, a burglar broke into a house he thought was empty. He tiptoed through the living room but suddenly he froze in his tracks when he heard a loud voice say: "Jesus is watching you!" Silence returned to the house, so the burglar crept forward again. "Jesus is watching you," the voice boomed again. The burglar stopped dead again. He was frightened. Frantically, he looked all around. In a dark corner, he spotted a bird cage and in the cage was a parrot. He asked the parrot: "Was that you who said Jesus is watching me?" "Yes", said the parrot. The burglar breathed a sigh of relief, and asked the parrot: "What’s your name?" "Clarence," said the bird. "That’s a dumb name for a parrot," sneered the burglar. "What idiot named you Clarence?" The parrot said, "The same idiot who named the Rottweiller Jesus."

A blonde, wanting to earn some money, decided to hire herself out as a handyman-type and started canvassing a wealthy neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had any jobs for her to do. "Well, you can paint my porch. How much will you charge?" The blonde said "How about 50 dollars?" The man agreed and told her that the paint and other materials that she might need were in the garage. The mans wife, inside the house, heard the conversation and said to her husband, "Does she realize that the porch goes all the way around the house?" The man replied, "She should, she was standing on it." A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money. "You're finished already?" he asked. "Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats." Impressed, the man reached in his pocket for the $50."And by the way," the blonde added, "it's not a Porch, it’s a Ferrari."

One morning this blonde calls her friend and says, "Would you mind coming over and helping me out with this killer jigsaw puzzle I bought - I can't figure out how to get started." Her friend asks, "What's the puzzle of?" "From the picture on the box, I'd guess it's a tiger," replied the blonde. The friend obliges, and when he arrives the blonde greets him at the front door and then shows him the puzzle spread out all over the table. He studies the pieces for a moment, then studies the box. Then, he turns to her and says, "I’m afraid that no matter what I do, I'm not going to be able to show you how to assemble these to look like the picture of the tiger on the box." "Why not?" asks the disappointed blonde." Because, you didn't buy a jigsaw puzzle... what you have here is a box of Frosted Flakes."

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462
P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment