Sunday, March 30, 2014

Cajun Corner – Vol. 6, No. 9 – March 30, 2014


 
Cajun Corner – Vol. 6, No. 9 – March 30, 2014

 

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

 

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit us at www.cajunstitchery.com, www.flickr.com/photos/cajunstitchery, and, www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



Spring is in the air.  George and I have a bad case of spring fever.  George is busy taking apart our old garden raised bed and making new ones.  I’m busy potting anything that I think might grow.  We are totally in love with our columbine flowers and want the yard full of them.  They are absolutely beautiful.  Now is the time to be amazed at the plants that lived through winter and looked like they were dead as a door nail.  All of a sudden they are alive, again.  However, our giant lemon tree isn’t showing any signs of life.  I guess we’ll give it a few more weeks to see if it starts to come back.  Luckily, I saved the seeds from the last lemon.  Maybe they will grow.  The beautiful blackberry flowers are everywhere.  Looks like we might have some blackberry cobbler in a few weeks.  Yum!

On the sewing/embroidery side, I have been teaching myself to make baby booties.  To be so small, they are a little bit of a challenge.  I’ve made enough of them now where I have the method down.  My problem is making the toe/front of the little booties curve properly. 

The whole bootie adventure began with me wanting to use up some scrap fabric.  I have bags and bags of scrap fabric that I simply cannot seem to be able to toss.  So, I started looking for projects to use up the scrap.  When I hit onto baby booties, I got stuck.  There is reasoning behind my obsessive/compulsive bootie behavior.  Way back when I began Cajun Stitchery, I touted that customers could come to me for gifts for any occasion.  A lady contacted me about a baby shower. At the time I had nothing for her.  I was embarrassed and determined that will never happen again.  It won’t.  I have lots of baby tee shirts and bibs.  I want to add baby booties to these accessories.  So far the booties take about 3 or 4 hours to make.  To be able to price the booties would make them more expensive than anyone that I know would be willing to pay.  I’m still working on that.

At that point in the bootie escapade, I needed to create a way to cut down on time.  Cutting out patterns is not one of my favorite things to do in the sewing process.  On top of that, the booties are so tiny and I, of course, want to embroider on them.  It would be much easier to embroider on the booties before cutting them out so I can hoop a larger piece of fabric.  It dawned on me that I could combine the cutting and the embroidery into one step.  I scanned in the bootie pattern pieces and digitized them to fit into one hooping.  There was a lot of trial and error.  Now that it is all digitized, I can include the embroidery design in the same hooping.  When cutting the fabric it helps to have the cutting outline directly on the fabric.  The tissue paper pattern always seems to move around on me.  There’s more.  Since I have the boring needle on Clothilde, the machine outlines the pattern, then embroiders the design, and yes, then cuts it out.  Woot!  Woot!  There was one more thing that I decided could be combined with this step.  Two pattern pieces required an inner fabric to be placed between the bootie fabric and lining and is simply stitched onto the back of these 2 bootie pieces.  I included that step, as well.  After the embroidery machine, the only thing to do is tear off the stabilizer and sew the pieces together.  A bonus to this method is that the fabric pieces are cut out with precision, including the little right/left, front/back notches.  On the other hand, it is easier to do this with larger pieces of fabric, rather than scrap. 

We can now embroider on all pieces of the bootie, including the sole.  Think about it.  The child’s monogram could be embroidered onto the front/toe of the bootie, and the date of birth on the sole of the bootie.  Voila!  A keepsake.  Wouldn’t that make a terrific gift?

Still the booties take awhile to make and are very expensive.  My thought process was to perhaps add baby accessories that are not so time consuming so the price of the 2 or 3 items together would make a nice gift and not be too expensive since it is more than one item.  A matching baby bib would be nice; especially, one our new heirloom-like, scallop edged bibs with the baby’s monogram in the middle. 

Then I thought of a bonnet.  I do have a bonnet pattern and they are pretty easy to make.  I took out the pattern pieces and they are just too big to fit in a hoop, or even to scan.  So, I began doing some research on the internet.  I do think we will be able to accomplish the bonnet in the hoop.  I just need to give it more thought.

We’ve come a long way with the baby accessories, but wait!  I still have bags and bags of scrap.  Oh well, that’s for another day.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK
If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 

No time to read Cajun Corner?  Visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com and click the Odiogo button to hear the computer read the blog.

Thank you, Bob, for all of the jokes:

A cop pulled me over the other day for speeding. After giving me the ticket, he teases me a bit about my out of state plate and the fact that I'm driving a car that's in my Dad's name. He points to my dash and asks, "Is that a radar detector I see?" I said "I don't know it's my Dad's car. It's just always been there, but it does let me know every time I pass a Krispy Kreme." He smirked and said, "Good one. Now slow down."

She was admired for her sweetness and kindness to all. One afternoon the pastor came to call on her and she showed him into her quaint sitting room. She invited him to have a seat while she prepared tea. As he sat facing her old Hammond organ, the young minister noticed a cute glass bowl sitting on top of it. The bowl was filled with water, and in the water floated, of all things, a condom! When she returned with tea and scones, They began to chat.. The pastor tried to stifle his curiosity about the bowl of water and its strange floater, but soon it got the better of him and he could no longer resist. 'Miss Beatrice', he said, 'I wonder if you would tell me about this?' Pointing to the bowl. 'Oh, yes,' she replied, 'Isn't it wonderful? I was walking through the park a few months ago and I found this little package on the ground. The directions said to place it on the organ, keep it wet and that it would prevent t he spread of disease. Do you know, I haven't had the flu all winter?'

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462
P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment