Friday, October 7, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 40


Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 40 – October 7, 2011

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.



ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com, and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



The Pensacola Beach 4th Annual Arts & Wine Festival is now history.  Not a bad event at all.  It was very windy.  We ended the weekend with a profit.  It wasn’t as much as anticipated but a profit is a profit.  Yay!!!!  This was the first festival that we have been allowed to leave our tent/canopy/booth overnight.  When we arrived on Saturday the wind was so strong that about all George and I could do was hold onto the tent.  Our sweet helper picked up some concrete blocks and rope on her way to the festival.  That saved the day for us.  I really liked the improvements that we made to our booth this year.  At the end of the day, we loaded up everything except the booth and the attached signs.  The following morning when we arrived, the wind had destroyed the tent next to us and they had to use a spare tent that they had.  Other tents were blown all over the parking lot.  But the Cajun Stitchery tent stood tall and proud.   George and I have already begun discussions about some additions and changes for next year, but we were mighty pleased with the look this year.

Monday was spent resting up from the weekend, organizing and putting away everything from the festival.  Tuesday I was finally able to begin embroidering.  Wednesday a friend arrived from Orlando and will stay with us until Sunday.  Thursday I began embroidery on screen.  It has been a busy but pleasurable week.

Oh, you picked up on my embroidery on screen, didn’t you?  Wondering what kind of screen could be embroidered?  This is another embroidery technique that has been around for awhile but I finally got to try it out.  The screen is regular, fiberglass, window screens.  Since embroidery doesn’t fade, then it stands to reason that if screen is embroidered, it shouldn’t fade, even out in the weather.  Now I didn’t say it wouldn’t get dirty.  I would imagine that you should be able to hose it down, like you would any dirty screen.  There are so many possibilities for screen embroidery, such as, windows, screen doors, fireplace screens, etc.  For my initial screen embroidery, I have chosen a screen the size of one of my window screens.  Since my windows have 6 panels, I am embroidering Christmas motifs to show through each of the 6 panels.  George is going to frame the screen after the embroidery is done and we should be able to put it in the window during the Christmas season.

Since this is two sided embroidery, the bobbin color is changed as the top thread color changes so that you can see the design from either side of the screen.  So far I have only completed one design and I hope to get the others finished in the next few days.  I am sure I will be showing pictures once completed.

Every time my friend from Orlando visits, we try out new embroidery techniques.  She is an embroidery machine technician.  We have the same passion for our embroidery and just have a ball together.  I even sang my little rap song for her.  Let’s just say that she was amazed.

Most of this week has been spent organizing all of our items and organizing our Etsy store.  I am and will be running sales on Etsy from now through Christmas.  Half price on cell phone pouches.  Once I get around to it, I plan to list more “You Have a Booger” hankies.  They apparently make great Christmas presents.  Of course, this year we also have men’s handkerchiefs.

The garden.  We picked our first eggplant of the season yesterday.  The cayenne peppers are definitely the winner crop this year.  Those plants just keep on producing peppers.  We are almost ready to begin harvesting cucumbers.  The surprise of the season is watermelon.  Earlier this summer George bought a watermelon for us at a roadside stand.  We saved the seeds, which is our custom and planted a few seeds in pots on the deck.  The seeds germinated but summer turned into fall and we thought we would just have the plant with no fruit.  One day I noticed a watermelon on one plant that was maybe an inch in diameter.  We certainly were excited.  Now we have 2 more growing.  Who knows, maybe we will have watermelon for Halloween instead of pumpkin.   We are still harvesting all kinds of peppers, tomatoes and green beans.  The okra is still alive and producing. 

Three years ago we planted snapdragon seeds in a pot on our deck.  The snapdragons were beautiful.  Here’s the thing, snapdragons are annuals.  They only live one year and die.  To get more, you have to plant more seeds the next year.  Well, our snapdragons are still alive after 3 years.  I thought this past summer that they were gone for sure.  Guess what?  They are back.  I certainly don’t mind.  Snapdragons are beautiful plants and beautiful flowers.  We planted snapdragons in several locations this past spring and they are all growing and producing flowers.

CHRISTMAS is around the corner.  Get that Christmas shopping done now and enjoy the holidays.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 
===============================================================

Thank you Marshall Larrivere for the following:

Boudreau was driving down Canal Street in a sweat

because he had an important meeting and couldn't find a parking place.

Looking up to heaven he said, “Lord take pity on me. If you find me a

parking place I will go to Mass every Sunday for the rest of ma life

and give up ma White Lightnin'!”

Miraculously, a parking place appeared.

Boudreau looked up again and said, “Never mind, I

found one.”

=================================================================

C’est tout, mes amis



Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462




P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment