Friday, January 27, 2012

Cajun Corner - Vol. 4, No. 3

Cajun Corner – Vol. 4, No. 3 – January 27, 2012

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.


Don’t forget to visit our blog at, and often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:

The Mardi Gras season is definitely upon us now.  We are getting our Krewe Den this weekend.  All Nereids are to try on last year’s costume, put it on a hanger with your name pinned to it, attach a note saying if it needs to be taken in, let out, any rips or repairs needed, etc., and have your costume at Krewe Den in the Costume Department before next Wednesday.

The Nauga Brunch is tomorrow beginning at 10 a.m.   All of those attending please wear your animal print pajamas and join those Naugas for THE party of the year on the beach.

Last Friday was the Mystic Krewe of Nereids Moon pie Party.  That was the best moon pie party that we’ve had since I became entangled with these crazy Nereids.  The crowd was huge.  The music was loud.  The moon pies were all over the place.  I know I danced so much that I worried that I wouldn’t be able to move the next day.  Since this is our year of the Dancing Queen, she had us all on stage doing last year’s dance routine.  It was pure and simple fun, fun, and more fun. 

I’m still fascinated with Pinterest.  One Pinterest item that I read a week or so ago said that rather than using a dryer sheet to get out the static cling from your clothes, lightly wad up a piece of aluminum foil and throw that in the dryer.  We did it and it works.  The aluminum foil comes out wadded tightly but there is no static cling AND you can use the foil over and over again.  This reminded me of my daddy.  I remember when I was a little girl living in Lafayette, one day my hair was standing on end with static cling.  My daddy told me to go hold onto the metal plumbing pipe.  I did and voila the static cling was gone.  I think the aluminum foil in the dryer must be along the same principle as holding onto the metal plumbing pipe.

George and I have had a couple of really nice, big, carrot salads lately.  Just mix shredded carrots, raisins, and a bit of mayonnaise.  There simply is nothing like fresh vegetables right out of the garden.  Right now we are harvesting carrots and have planted more.  About now, Mama would be commenting on carrots being so good for your eyes.  When I was little she would tell me to eat my carrots so I could see well.  I’d eat them and she’d says, “What can you see now that you’ve eaten your carrots?  You should be able to see really good now.”  It is a shame that we’ve never been able to grow beets here.  Mama loved beets, as I do.  She would tell me to eat my beets so that I would get smart. We have some broccoli plants that have not begun to produce yet.  This year we remembered to plant celery in January.  I sure hope it grows.  Oh yes, the sweet peas are growing, too.  If that’s not enough, the camellias and snapdragons are blooming. 

There is a bit of sad news this week.  Our little white, spaniel mix dog was put down on Monday.  Stinky was 17 years old.  George got Stinky when he worked for the zoo.  The wife of the owner of the zoo couldn’t keep Stinky anymore and asked George if he would like to have her.  I don’t think she ever weighed more than 25 pounds and this last year she was less than 20 pounds.  I remember the day George brought her home.  She was sitting in the passenger seat of his black truck and the contrast between the little white dog and the black truck made her look so pretty.  She was a beautiful dog.  We had pizza for dinner that night and our other dogs were trained not to touch our food.  I didn’t think anything about leaving my pizza on a plate in the living room while I went to get a drink.  The next thing I knew this little white dog had my pizza in her mouth and was running across the living room floor.  At Christmas she would lay down on the sofa next to me and as I would open presents, I would put the sticky bows on her head.  She was adorable.  One year we dressed her up as a MerMutt and took her to the beach for the Critter Crawl.  We could tell that age was getting to her this past year.  She began having tumors; her teeth were bad; she had cataracts; she had a bad back that atrophied, just a lot of old age problems.  Monday morning she couldn’t walk.  We took her to the vet and it was time.  Normally, George would send me to pay the bill while they euthanized, but, I held her.  I held her in my arms as they gave her a sedative and then THE shot.  I still held onto her, petting and caressing her sweet little body.  The vet listened for her heartbeat and told us she was gone.  I continued holding her and stroking her soft, white fur.  My little friend for so many years was asleep and peaceful.  Tears were streaming down our faces.  We said our goodbyes.  There was a beauty about this.  It is hard to explain.  I know that she is in heaven running in a large field.  She could run like the wind in her younger days.  I do miss our little Stinky but I’m so grateful that she is no longer suffering.  She is in a better place and I will see her again someday.

All of my work in our Etsy Store is beginning to pay off.  Last month and this month have been our absolute best months ever with the Etsy Store.  We still need to increase sales more, but these 2 months have been very encouraging.  This week I received a call from a young lady who had made a purchase from us on Etsy.  She has not received her purchase yet and she made the purchase on January 5th.  This is the first time we’ve had any problem with our Etsy customers.  As it turned out, she gave us the wrong address.  Apparently she moved from her last apartment to her new apartment during this time period.  I told her to please see if the package arrived at the old address and if she did not receive it or had any problems, I would make her another.  I want happy customers.  Her demeanor totally changed and she said, “Really?”  Yep, I want happy customers, period.

This year the Mardi Gras season is pretty short.  Our parade on the beach is on February 19th.  One of the krewes from Pensacola contacted me wanting patches.  Several ladies in this krewe are friends of mine from my legal career days.  The krewe will be meeting at the end of January and deciding how many patches they want.  Right now I have an order for one.  One is a beginning.  The krewe I the Krewe of Sirens and the patch is a mermaid.  As I told a friend recently, I am up to my ears in mermaids and I love it.

I have several other projects on my plate right now.  If they all come through we are going to have a very busy Mardi Gras season, indeed. 

The krewes that have contacted me have all said the same thing that the Nereids are saying right now:  “Oh my gosh, Mardi Gras is here and we aren’t ready!”  Last minute orders are becoming the routine.

Have a wonderful week and don’t forget to SMILE:>)

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email and let me know to put you on our email list. 

Thanks to Chuck Steele for this contribution:

Even if you're a non-believer you need to read this! BELIEVE IT OR

Louisiana Ghost Story (true story)
This happened about 6 months ago on Louisiana Hwy 57, just outside of
Dulac, a little town in the bayou country of Louisiana, and while it
sounds like an Alfred Hitchcock tale, it's real.
An Ohio businessman, Saul Rubins, abandoned his disabled vehicle on
the side of the road, and attempted to hitchhike. The night was pitch
dark in the middle of a thunderstorm. Time passed slowly and no cars
went by. It was raining so hard he could hardly see his hand in front
of his face.

Suddenly, through the sheets of rain, he saw a car moving slowly,
approaching and appearing ghostlike in the rain. It slowly and
silently crept toward him and stopped. Desperately needing a ride,
Saul jumped in the car and closed the door. Only then did he realize
that there was no one behind the wheel and no sound of an engine to be
heard over the rain.

Again the car crept silently forward and Saul was terrified, too
scared to think of jumping out and running... He saw that the car was
approaching a sharp curve and, still too scared to jump out, he
started to pray and beg for his life; he was sure the ghost car would
go off the road and into the bayou and he would then drown!

But just before the curve, a shadowy hand appeared at the driver's
window, reached in and turned the steering wheel, guiding the car
safely around the bend. Then, just as silently, the hand disappeared
through the window and Saul was alone again.

Paralyzed with fear, Saul watched the hand reappear every time they
reached a curve. Finally, scared nearly to death, Saul had all he
could take, jumped out of the car, and ran to town...

Wet and in shock, he went into Schmoopy's. Voice quavering, he ordered
two cups of coffee, black, and then told everybody about his
supernatural experience. The room became silent and everybody got
goose bumps when they realized Saul was telling the truth and was not
just some drunk. About 30 minutes later two Cajuns, dripping wet,
walked into Schmoopy's and one says to the other,

"Look, Boudreaux, ders dat idiot what rode in our car when we wuz
pushin' it in DA rain!!!"


C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment