Friday, November 4, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 44













Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 44 – November 4, 2011



Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.



ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com, and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



Halloween, as usual, was filled with laughter.  George sat out front adorned with a pirate’s hat and skull mask; his body covered in his black rain poncho, leaning against the front door with a bowl of candy on one side and a glass gallon bottle of what appeared to be whiskey or rum on the other side.  As the children approached, he did not move, but as their hands went into the candy, he would say, “BOO”.  Kids and grownups, alike, jumped.  We didn’t have too many children; probably about 20 or so.  It was fun.  Our neighbors were out, too, which increased the fun.  Afterwards, George and I stoked up the chininea and had a glass of wine by the fire.  It was a wonderful evening.

Of course, the next day was my birthday.  We went out to Ruby Tuesday’s for lunch but didn’t do much else.  My birthday present this year from George was getting my car repainted.  We took my 16 year old Geo Metro to Peach Paint & Collision on Monday and picked it up on Wednesday.  The car looks brand new.  It is really pretty.  I cannot imagine a better birthday present.  That’s the best car I’ve ever owned and the only one that fits me like a glove. 

Wednesday night with the girls was hysterical.  Of course, my birthday was celebrated and I received some wonderful gifts.  The biggest gift is their friendship and the laughter they bring into my life.  Our hostess has been caring for an ailing friend who has been at her house since he got out of the hospital.  He was in the bedroom sleeping.  All 11 of us girls were trying to be quiet because we didn’t want to disturb the patient.  Well, that didn’t work, but when Happy Birthday was sung in a whisper, we all fell out laughing.

A little sideline to this story is that we had been teasing our friend about nursing her patient.  This particular lady is probably the last person on the face of the earth that you would ever consider a nurse.  She decided that she wanted a nurse’s hat and wanted me to make one for her.  I found a site on the internet with instructions for making a nurses hat and sent it to her.  She whined and whined because she said she couldn’t make it.  Then I found an instructional video on YouTube on making a nurse’s hat.  During the video the lady said that she had been bit by a bug on her eye was making the hat using only one eye.  I forwarded the video to my friend, telling her that if the lady in the video was only using one eye to make the nurse’s hat, she certainly could make one.  She whined and whined.  It was just hilarious reading all of the whining emails.  So, George and I went to the dollar store and picked up some poster board and Tuesday night we made 6 nurses hats.  When I arrived on Wednesday night, I handed out the nurses hats.  They were such a source of entertainment.  We laughed until we cried.  When she went to administer her patient’s evening medicine, he said, “Where’d you get that hat?”  The following morning when he awoke and walked down the hall to the kitchen, he passed by all of the hats hanging on the coat rack.  He laughed.  At least it brought laughter to her patient and, after all, laughter is the best medicine.

Thursday evening we went to another friend’s home for dinner.  We usually have Thursday evenings set aside for a game of Scrabble.  This friend, who used to live next door to me but now lives in Gulf Breeze, was my neighbor when Mama was living with me.  Mama would go next door and play Scrabble.  When Mama would play Scrabble and get a tile that she couldn’t use, she would drop it on the floor.  We hadn’t really noticed her doing that until after the first game when my friend went to clean her house and found the tiles on the floor under the table.  We have always laughed about Mama playing Scrabble.

But this Thursday evening was a birthday party for me.  She made all of my favorite dishes.  Neighbors joined us for the occasion.  We drank wine, talked, opened presents and enjoyed playing our game of creative Scrabble.  It was a delightful evening.  My friend likes to play Scrabble by the rules.  I look at it as a “game” and endeavor to enjoy myself.  I spend the time making up words and try to convince her that they are really words.  For instance, if anything is on the internet, and everything is, then it should be acceptable to put an “I” or “e” before each word.  Such as, “e” mail, or “I”phone.  It would make perfect sense, to me, at least, that you could use the word “igames”.  Those are games played on the internet, distinguished from games played in person.  And so, our Scrabble evenings go.  The more wine we drink, the better the words and explanations.

TGIF!  So, today is Friday.  At this point, we have no plans for this evening.  I don’t think I can eat another bite of food.  In just this one week, I think I have outgrown all of my clothes.  Although I still have my gift certificate for Bonelli’s which is my favorite Italian restaurant. 

One gift that I received this week was a pair of tickets for a dolphin glass bottom boat tour out of Orange Beach.  Now that sounds interesting.  The girls were telling me that I need to get out of the house.  Of course, I teased them.  We will definitely be using these tickets, and probably within the next few weeks.  This just sounds like a wonderful outing.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

How much work did I actually get done this week?  Not nearly as much as I should have.

I am, however, starting to attach stories to our items in the Etsy store.  We now have Nauga Gloves and Charlotte’s Towel.  More will come.

Before I forget, I still have the box for non-perishable food for the homeless shelters.  If you are in the area, drop off some non-perishables.  The food drive is going on to December.

Also, I have some red and white, regular furry Christmas Stockings, approximately 17 inches long.  I will be glad to embroider a name on them for $7.00 each (includes the stocking).  I also made a pattern for a regular Christmas stocking, same size, which is pretty simple.  I’ll make the stocking and add the name for $12.00.  Let me know if you are interested.  Attached is a photo of one of my stockings.  They are fully lined.  Fabric will change depending on what I have available at the time of the order.

All cell phone holders in our Etsy store are half price ($5.00), so stop by www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com and get some cute cell phone holders as gifts for Christmas.

CHRISTMAS is around the corner.  Get that Christmas shopping done now and enjoy the holidays.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 
===============================================================

Thank you Marshall Larrivere for the following:

Boudreaux was in New Orleans.

He was patiently waiting and watching the traffic

cop on a busy street crossing. The cop stopped the flow of traffic

and shouted, “Okay, pedestrians.” Then he'd allow the traffic to pass.

He'd done this several times, and Boudreaux still

stood on the sidewalk.

After the cop had shouted, “Pedestrians!” for the

tenth time, Boudreaux went over to him and said, “Ain't it 'bout time

ya let the Catholics across?”

=================================================================

C’est tout, mes amis



Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462




P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment