Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cajun Corner - Vol. 5, No. 52


Cajun Corner – Vol. 5, No. 52 – November 3, 2013

 

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

 

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit us at www.cajunstitchery.com, www.flickr.com/photos/cajunstitchery, and, www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our on-line catalogs at:



What is a birthday?  A birthday is simply a celebration of your birth.  Just by living and enjoying the gift of life aren’t we celebrating our birthday everyday?  I wonder how this evolved into a birthday gift giving and celebration day.  Oh, I’m not complaining about it.  I’m just wondering.  This birthday has been the best ever. 

Friday night some friends invited us to their home for dinner.  A couple of mutual friends from Mobile were spending the weekend with them.  The evening was just splendid and relaxing.  The food was fabulous.  There were lots of happy birthday wishes but for a social person, like me, the friends and socializing is always the best present.

The party last night was fabulous, too.  We went to a local bar about three blocks from our home that we used to think was nothing more than a dive.  The outside appearance is certainly deceiving.  When we walked in we saw a darkened room with several little wooden tables and chairs.  There was a large fireplace off to the side and a long wooden bar at the front.  The musician’s stage had a wooden fence around it with a chair for the musician.  It was very nice.  The room was an L shape and towards the back was an “Exit” sign above a door.  Once we went through the door and down a short hallway it opened into a nice sized, well lit, dining area with a large fireplace and numerous tables and chairs.  At the far end of the room are double doors that open to a nice wooden deck with more tables and chair.  At the far end of the deck were stairs descending into a sandy area resembling a beach.   It just seemed to go on forever.

We stayed in the front and took over most of the little tables and chairs.  I was thrilled and surprised that so many of my friends traveled all the way over to this end of town to celebrate my birthday.  The musician of the evening happened to be one of my Facebook friends and had been forewarned of the party.  He played Happy Birthday for me as everyone sang along.   Some of our wonderful neighbors joined in the festivities.  We ate dinner, talked, sang, danced, drank, and had a wonderful time.  Thank you to everyone for joining us.  I had begged everyone not to bring presents because I did not want to deal with tissue paper in a bar.  Only one present arrived.  I was grateful that everyone understood that the party was really my present.  As the evening progressed, George went home to feed the dogs. 

After most everyone left, a couple of my girlfriends drove me home for our slumber party at our Cajun Stitchery studio.  Two of the girls were spending the night and the three of us changed into our pajamas.  Another two girlfriends came over in their pajamas.  And another girlfriend followed us from the bar.  The six of us talked and talked and talked and laughed and laughed and laughed.  Thank goodness for my wonderful neighbors who said we didn’t disturb them in the wee hours of the morning.  Of course, the time changed last night so we were able to spend that extra hour enjoying ourselves even more.   After the other three girls left and only the spend-the-nighters remained, we talked and laughed more.  I don’t know what time we ended up going to bed but it had to be after 2 a.m.  They slept in the bed and I slept on the sofa.

This morning I awoke and made coffee, of course.  The girls were sleeping like babies.  So, I went next door to have my morning coffee with George.   Around 9 or 10 the girls woke up.  One of my girlfriends made us breakfast and, after eating, we all sat outside enjoying our coffee.   George eventually came over and we all talked and laughed some more.  The girls went home around 2 p.m.  I sat in the studio smiling and taking in all of the joy experienced at this wonderful celebration.

I would be remiss if I didn’t also thank those of you who sent beautiful birthday cards not only through the mail but also via the internet.

As a present to myself, I ordered some “ladies” shirts from one of our wholesalers.  I love wearing tee shirts.  I love the feel of jersey.  I do not like crew necks.  Most of the girl friends that I know do not like crew neck shirts, either.  There is a line of Bella+Canvas shirts made especially for ladies.  I ordered one of every long sleeve, non-crew neck, shirt that they offer.  I want to be able to give first hand information on how that style fits, feels, shrink or not, etc.  So far I’ve been very pleased with the shirts.  They do all seem to be softer than normal tee shirts.  The necklines are wonderful.  They are all running around $15 except for the sweatshirt that is about $25-$30.  In bulk, of course, there is a break in pricing. 

Speaking of tee shirts, one of my spend-the-nighters fell in love with the tee shirt that we embroidered the zebra with the stripes falling off of it and the wording:  “I think it’s the stress…”  It is a crew neck tee shirt that was much too large for her but she is going to use it as a nightgown and cut the crew neck out of it. 

The regular, short sleeve, crew neck tee shirts are still available for less than $10 each.  Make it an even $10 and we will embroider a name on the left chest in either block or script.  This offer is good as long as we have the size and shirt color in stock.

Another “find” from my wholesaler is a faux lamb’s wool throw.  They come in black, brown, and camel.  I ordered one of these throws in camel.  Last night the girls were all touching it and feeling how soft and warm it is.  This throw is about $40.00 but so worth it.  One side is faux suede and the other the lamb’s wool.  The size is 50” x 60”.  It can be monogrammed.

Our recent wholesale order also included some new styled red aprons, some non-woven laundry bags, and a whole bunch of baby and toddler tee shirts. 

Christmas is around the corner and all of these items make great presents.  Let me know if you need anything.

By the way, the plumbing is fixed and working.

HAVE A NICE WEEK
If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 

No time to read Cajun Corner?  Visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com and click the Odiogo button to hear the computer read the blog.

Thank you Kathie for the following:

Halloween is coming!

A man is walking home alone late one foggy night...

when behind him he hears:


Bump...


BUMP...


BUMP...


Walking faster, he looks back and through the fog he makes out the image of an upright casket banging its way down the middle of the street toward him.


BUMP...


BUMP...


BUMP...


Terrified, the man begins to run toward his home, the casket bouncing quickly behind him


FASTER...


FASTER...


BUMP...


BUMP...


BUMP...


He runs up to his door, fumbles with his keys, opens the door, rushes in, slams and locks the door behind him.


However, the casket crashes through his door, with the lid of the casket clapping


clappity-BUMP...


clappity-BUMP...


clappity-BUMP...


on his heels, the terrified man runs.


Rushing upstairs to the bathroom, the man locks himself in.  His heart is pounding; his head is reeling; his breath is coming in sobbing gasps.


With a loud CRASH the casket breaks down the door.
 

Bumping and clapping toward him.

The man screams and reaches for something, anything, but all he can find is a bottle of cough syrup!

Desperate, he throws the cough syrup at the casket...

and,

(hopefully you're ready for this!!!)

 The coffin stops 

 

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462
P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment