Friday, September 9, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 36


Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 36 – September 9, 2011



Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

 

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our blog at www.cajunstitchery.blogspot.com, catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook. 

Visit our new on-line catalog at:

http://www.imprintit.biz/cgi-bin/cobrand/site.w?location=olc/catalog-home.w&top=catalog&frames=no&target=main&sponsor=000699

We survived Tropical Storm Lee but we did get wet and windblown.  The garden took a beating with the wind and the little tomatoes have been bursting all week from so much moisture.  Thank goodness we did not experience any damage.  All of the dead limbs were blown out of the trees and that’s about it.  TS Lee did allow me to get a lot of embroidery done, though.

On a sad note, one of our neighbors passed away in her sleep this week.  She was about my age.  This came as a complete surprise to everyone.  The neighborhood has been in mourning all week. 

Since we stayed indoors most of last weekend due to the storm, when I wasn’t embroidering, I was, of course, on the computer.  I love Facebook.  I love meeting people on Facebook.  And I love marketing on Facebook.  Apparently, you have a limit on Facebook of 5,000 friends.  You know, I probably never would have thought about it until I learned that 5,000 was the limit.  Since then my goal is to have 5,000 friends on Facebook.  Of course, I do not know 5,000 people on Facebook.  I take the opportunity to meet people on Facebook and I have made some good friends that way.  Like my Mama, I’m a very gregarious person.  Over the weekend my friend count turned 2900.  I was clicking on “invite a friend” pretty frequently.  Facebook punished me and put me on restriction.  I was told that I could not invite a friend for 2 days.  I think Facebook kind of straddles a line in this area.  On the one hand, they want you to meet people.  On the other hand, they don’t want anyone’s privacy invaded.  So, I accepted my punishment.  But then Facebook punished George.  Now George does have a lot of friends on Facebook but he definitely does not randomly request friends like I do.  George actually checks each of his potential friends out before he ever invites them.  Where I may send out hundreds of friend requests a day, George may send out one or two.  He received the same punishment as I did.  Now we have no idea what either of us did wrong.  However, we both waited out our 2 day restrictions.

In the meantime, we could still use Facebook.  We just couldn’t request friends.  As I’ve mentioned before, I belong to several “groups” on Facebook.  I’m only active in a few of them.  One of the more recent groups is Support Local Pensacola Businesses.  Being stuck in the house for the weekend, I was entertained by a new business not far from our home.  It is a discount grocer.  One day, over the weekend, he was posting his sales one right after the other.  He was having some wonderful sales.  Not only was I enjoying his sales but others were, too.  All of a sudden another member posted that the grocer was posting too much and should stop.  Of course, that was ridiculous.  The grocer was only doing what the name of the group implies.  How in the world can you support local businesses if you don’t know that they are out there and what they do?  The group is obviously a marketing tool to try to even out the competition with big businesses like Wal-Mart.  Wal-Mart and other big stores are in your face constantly.  Their ads are in newspapers, TV, radio, benches, buses, billboards, and wherever they are allowed to put their name.  Small businesses usually do not have the luxury of a large marketing dollar and we have to take what we can get and be as creative as possible.  This is why the statement about posting was so outrageous.  Not long after the post was sent, the administrator of the group posted rules for the group.  Frankly, I thought I was on Candid Camera.  The rules state that businesses can only post once per day.  That defeats the whole point of marketing when the Wal-Marts of the world are in your face every few minutes, all day long.  What really irritated me was had I been the grocer guy, that post would have humiliated me.  So, I was clicking the “Like” button and posted comments on all of the grocer’s posts to bring them to the top again.  The grocer, of course, stopped posting.  I didn’t say anything about how rude and inappropriate I thought the “rules” were.  I did some research on Facebook in their “Help” area and found that there are no rules for groups from Facebook.

The following day, I decided to go to the grocer’s Facebook page.  My heart sank when I saw he had to have his dog put down that morning.  The man was grieving.  I watched the group the next day to see what would happen.  Although the grocer was not posting at all, a chef started posting.  The chef’s posts were equally as pleasing as the grocer’s.  In fact, the chef’s posts made me think of Mama.  This chef will come to your house and cook all of your meals for a week (freezing them) for $90.  He goes on to explain that there are 3 meats and so many vegetables and salads, etc.  You pay for the food – and he will gladly do the shopping for you, too, if you like.  What a great idea! He even leaves your kitchen spotless when he goes. My mother would have hopped on that band wagon immediately.  But there was more.  He had another post that showed a picture of a romantic evening.  He will come to your house and cook a romantic meal, create the romantic ambiance, and serve you – at your own home.  The post was from one of his customer’s anniversary.  Wow!  I would never have thought of this.  I was all over these posts until another post appeared from a guy that I know saying the chef was abusing the post rules.  Are you kidding me?  At that point, I lost it.  I do not believe that I was ugly but I did reply to the rude post that it may be his opinion that this guy is abusing the posts but that is merely his opinion.  I stated that I was enjoying them tremendously.  I said that I had also enjoyed the grocer’s post the previous day.  That I had looked on Facebook for rules for groups and failed to find any.  Let’s say that I stated my objections and ended by saying that at this point I was afraid to post my embroidery for fear of intimidation.  Not long afterwards my post was removed from the group and the administrator, again, posted the rules.  Again, I was clicking “Like” and commenting to the chef’s posts.

The following day I went to the grocer’s Facebook page, again.  OMG!  His truck was wrecked.  This guy had a terrible week and I felt awful for him.  I continued to monitor the group and “Like” and comment on the grocer and the chef as much as possible.  Yesterday, George and I went to the grocer’s store and met the grocer.  We all had a big laugh.  We did purchase some groceries and became friends with the grocer and his staff.

In the meantime, the chef messaged me that he wants some embroidery done.

Last night a friend of mine came by to pick up her embroidery and I began explaining the Facebook group story to her.  She, too, knew one of the “go by the rules” guys.  She also understood how ridiculous the rules are.  She asked me to invite her into the group.  After she left, I did just that and invited her into the group.  Then the fun began.  She got on the group and “liked” and commented on both the grocer and the chef posts.  By this time both the grocer and the chef were back posting their multiple posts.  Finally, Rule Man reared his ugly head again.  I cannot even remember the things she said but she had me laughing until tears were pouring.  She made her point clear:

(Rule Guy):  This was posted by the group moderator - ATTN GROUP MEMBERS !!! Please try to limit your posts to one per day, in order to give everyone an equal opportunity to share news and updates about their business here. Also, you MUST be located in PENSACOLA. Anyone who becomes abusive or spam-like will have their posts removed the first time, and will be banned from the group if it continues. Thank you for your cooperation!

       My friend: It's such a small world.

Rule Guy:  did u miss me? Lol

My friend:  I'm sorry according to the rule above, I will have to respond to you tomorrow.

Rule Guy:  comments don't count. And I am not the moderator - i just copy and pasted the statement of such.

My friend:  No, it says posts. This is my fourth post. I'm a stickler for the rules.

I hope you are doing well. We will have to catch up somewhere other than this board.

Rule Guy:  surely!

After that I stayed up very late doing my usual posting on the internet and stuff.  I noticed that a bit before midnight Rule Man posted about his business.  Then around 1 a.m. he posted again.  Rather than quote the rules, he did post on 2 different days about an hour or two apart, I simply clicked “like” on his posts.  Few local people would have seen his posts because most would be sleeping by that time.  I just don’t think the man “gets it” when it comes to how to market.

Through the whole thing, I walked away with a good laugh and a couple of new friends.  It is a good lesson and thank goodness I was able to benefit from it.  George and I can now request friends on Facebook, again.  As an aside, the grocer told me that Facebook put him on restriction last weekend, too.

Something else occurred this week on Facebook.  I was posting a sale for tablecloths.  I can get some really good deals on tablecloths.  I had posted the sale on several different pages and a friend commented asking where was the sale and who was I posting for.  Of course, my response was that it was Cajun Stitchery’s sale.  This made me realize that although some of my friends on Facebook have been friends for a long time and usually understand how Cajun Stitchery works, I am adding new friends everyday and they don’t.  So, I posted that since Cajun Stitchery does carry a resale certificate, I can get most anything you would want through wholesalers.  I just don’t have a store front outside of the internet and I don’t have room to maintain a large volume of stock since my studio is located in my home.

My friend who dropped by and eventually had me doubled up laughing about the Rule Man on Facebook works at a local hotel wholesaler.  We were discussing the possibility of Cajun Stitchery dealing with her for tablecloths, napkins, towels, aprons, etc., rather than my wholesaler who is located in California.  I will always try to use local companies first.  By using her company, I could avoid the shipping issue.  Alas, she cannot offer a better deal than my wholesaler offers for tablecloths and napkins.  If she could ever meet their prices, I would switch over immediately.

SALE (good through 9/15/11):  Round Tablecloth:  Whether it's a grand party or just a social with friend and family, our table covers will be perfect for your event. Old and unsightly tables will no longer be a problem with our table covers on top.

Each Measures: 90"
100% polyester. Stain & wrinkle resistant.
1 piece, seamless design
Edges are folded & then hemmed
Please note: High-quality material used, weight of this item is very heavy.

Colors:  white, ivory, black, eggplant, fuchsia, chocolate, navy blue, orange, red, royal blue, sage green, silver, turquoise, willow green, burgundy

$18.00 (normal retail price is $20.33) (price is without embroidery)

I am getting some of these tablecloths for my tables at the Arts & Wine Festival.  These tablecloths come in an assortment of sizes and colors – and prices.  This wholesaler also offers cloth napkins at very reasonable prices.  The napkins and tablecloths are made from polyester but this wholesaler also carries crinkle tablecloths, flocking tablecloths, spandex tablecloths, satin tablecloths, runners, charger plates, chair sashes, overlays, table skirts, napkin rings, satin napkins, and much more.

A black tablecloth with gold napkins would make a great looking buffet for a football gathering for Saints fans.  Choose the colors of your favorite team.  What about fall colors for Halloween or Thanksgiving?  Let’s not forget Christmas.  A beautiful red tablecloth with gold or green napkins with red embroidery would be stunning.

CHRISTMAS is around the corner.  Unbelievable, I know.  Get that Christmas shopping done now and enjoy the holidays.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 
===============================================================

Interesting article Taken from:  http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/0001392/47/ July 30, 2005


Tay-Sachs, a rare -- and fatal -- degenerative disease, occurs disproportionately in Cajuns and Jews. "This is My Best," a new anthology heading to bookstores, includes pieces from a variety of contributors that they consider their best work. Contributions include poems, fiction, essays and journalism. And there's a very moving contribution inspired by Louisiana's Acadiana country.

Asked to nominate her most memorable work, New York science writer Laurie Garrett offered "A Hidden Killer in Cajun Country," an account of her visit to Acadiana to research Tay-Sachs, a rare degenerative disease that occurs disproportionately in Cajuns and Jews.

Garrett explores the genetic puzzle of why the fatal disorder would surface more frequently among such seemingly disparate ethnic groups. But she also writes movingly of the suffering endured by families faced with the disease.

The new publication of Garrett's story, which was first published in Newsday, a New York newspaper, should help throw a national spotlight on one of the more provocative specialties of science, Cajun genetics.

Friedreich's Ataxia, Usher's Syndrome

By useful circumstance, the subject also gets a prominent treatment in a recent issue of an LSU newsletter, LSU Today.

The newsletter profiles Mark Batzer, an LSU researcher who has been collaborating with other scientists for more than a decade to analyze Cajun genetics.


The research explores why some illnesses occur more heavily in Cajuns than in the general population.

Another researcher, Bronya Keats of the LSU Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, has explored why Friedreich's Ataxia, or FA, is found in one of about 20,000 Cajuns, a relatively high incidence. FA is a degenerative illness that typically leaves patients unable to walk.

Keats also has collaborated on research initiated by a colleague, Mary Kay Pelias, on the high incidence of Usher Syndrome in Cajuns. The illness can impair vision and hearing.

Beyond the Lab

Batzer said that his research has brought him and his colleagues beyond the lab and into area homes to examine family trees and health histories. "This is more than just scientific research," said Batzer. "This involves digging through records and going door to door for additional information."

Batzer said that good historical record-keeping within close-knit Cajun families and churches has greatly aided the research.

Ultimately, researchers hope to find clues that will help them in treating genetic disorders that have an abnormally high presence among Cajuns.

The research also has involved the Tulane Health Sciences Center in New Orleans. It's heartening to see this kind of cooperation between universities that historically have viewed themselves as rivals.

It's also encouraging to see research that might help families not far from campus. We wish LSU and Tulane luck with it.

 

The Ten Commandments in Cajun…

(Keeps it REAL Simple)

1. God is number one… and das’ All.

2. Don’t pray to nuttin’ or nobody… jus’ God.

3. Don’t cuss nobody… ‘specially da Good Lord.

4. When it be Sunday… pass yo’sef by God’s House.

5. Yo mama an’ yo daddy dun did it all… lissen to dem.

6. Killin’ duck an’ fish, das’ OK… people – No!

7. God done give you a wife… sleep wit’ jus’ her.

8. Don’t take nobody’s boat… or nuttin’ else.

9. Don’t go wantin’ somebody’s stuff.

10. Stop lyin’… yo tongue gonna fall out yo mouf!



===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis



Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462




P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment