Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cajun Corner Vol. 2, No. 26

Cajun Corner – Vol. 2, No. 26 – July 11, 2010


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit http://www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com/ often.

Bet you were wondering what happened to your issue of Cajun Corner. I apologize. I’m late by 2 days. Let me see if I can catch you up-to-date.

Saturday, a week ago, we met George’s sister, Kathie, for lunch at the Crab Shack in Perdido. Our home is about half way between Pensacola Beach and Perdido Key. Even though she lives in Fairhope, AL which is only about an hour away, we rarely visit each other. Usually 2 or 3 times a year, we meet half way. Lunch was delightful and we walked to the beach area where there were crews working but, surprisingly, a lot of sun bathers. The water and the beach looked beautiful. We were also surprised that standing at the edge of the beach we could see an oil rig in the water off of Alabama’s coastline. Florida doesn’t allow off shore drilling. None of us realized that they were so close to the shore that you could see them that clear.

The 4th of July: We ended up having a neighborhood bar-b-que with a decadent amount of food. We set up the table outside under our neighbor’s oak tree and it was actually pleasant. Not too hot at all. We ate until I told George I was grateful we took the car and didn’t walk. Had we walked, he would have had to roll me home. As it was I simply waddled to the car. Everyone else was planning on going downtown to watch the fireworks. We politely bowed out. Instead, we had a glass of wine and sat on the deck watching the neighborhood fireworks. The evening was as pleasant as the afternoon.

Monday may have been a holiday for most people but not at Cajun Stitchery. Over the weekend I had some ideas on making lace with Boudreaux and incorporating the lace into handkerchiefs. I played with the idea over the weekend and did make a few, each time figuring out something else. By Monday I think I had the process down pat. All of the lace handkerchiefs were listed on Etsy and WOW! People started hitting the website and looking at the handkerchiefs. There were a few who left hearts on our shop and some others left hearts for the items (meaning they like them). People are still visiting those handkerchiefs. One lady sent a convo (inner Etsy email) asking if I could personalize a hanky with a poem. Of course, I replied yes, please send the poem. She never responded after that. Even my friends were telling me how beautiful these handkerchiefs are. But no one bought them. I am selling them for $6 each. After perusing other handkerchiefs on Etsy, I realized $6 is way to low. There are no others like mine and other shops are selling their handkerchiefs for $20 and up. I increased the price on the last handkerchief that I posted to $10. They really are a steal. As I list more and more of these handkerchiefs, the price will become more in line with the other shops. So, get ‘em now before the price goes up.

I’ve also been thinking about the Arts & Wine Festival on the beach. I’m assuming we will have our 3rd Annual Festival but I haven’t heard anything about it. Last year it was in October. I need to get my stock up so that we have plenty to sell at the Festival.

We ordered some bags from a wholesaler this week for some customer orders and I’ve kept myself busy working on these orders. We’ve now ordered 4 dozen caps to fill another order.

All of this was on my mind and I had made a fabric shopping list and knew I needed to go to my favorite store – Fabric World. That happened on Thursday. I took my list and once in the store I was so overwhelmed with fabric that I forgot why I wanted the fabric on my list. I ended up getting a bunch of fabric to add to my house full of fabric collection. George said I went into that store and touched every piece of fabric in there, then started again and made another complete round of fabric touching before I even began picking out what I wanted. He is such a patient man.

George was waiting on a call or email or something telling him where to go to get permitted for the job. When all was said and done, he had to take an online course and then a test. He made 100% on the test, of course. His first night on the job was Friday night. We were preparing for him to be awake all night and into the morning. We were trying to adjust his sleep routine. I ended staying up all night and he slept. Hence, my sleep routine is now totally out of whack. I slept Friday and was awake most of the night working on orders. George got home around 5 a.m. and was beat. The job is easy, the hours and humidity are rough. Of course, he couldn’t do the job at all if he had to work during the day because his doctor makes him cover his body up since the skin cancer was removed. We both ended up going to bed mid-morning and now it’s 4 a.m. and we are both awake.

We’ve been getting green beans and bell peppers from our garden lately. Home grown is so good.

I’m going to post some pictures of items we’ve been embroidering this week, pillowcases, messenger bag, and a tote bag. They are beautiful.

Always remember that we are just a call or email away at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com or 850-261-2462 and place your order.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Boudreaux and Thibodeaux go see a movie. Boudreaux, in the middle of the movie, turns to Thibodeaux and says, “Betcha five bucks he falls off da horse.”

“You’re on” says Thibodeaux.

Sure enough, the guy in the movie falls off his horse. Thibodeaux hands his friend the five bucks.

Boudreaux admits, "I seen this movie before. I knew he’d fall off da horse.” He hands him back the money.

Thibodeaux tells him, “I seen this movie before, too. I just din't tink he’d be stupid enough to fall off his horse again!”

ΘΘΘΘΘ

French phrase of the week: Jacques apprend bien à l'école mais son petit frère est manière doucement. (Jacques learns well at school, but his brother is rather slow.)

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Clean out your automobile to reduce the weight and get better gas mileage.

Please let me know if there is something that you would like to see in the weekly email. You may always call me at (850) 261-2462 or email me at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

SALE OF THE WEEK (Good through Thursday, July 15, 2010)

We had an order for one of these bags last week and now that we’ve seen them, we think they are great. So, the sale is on for another week.

This bag has all sorts of compartments in it.

Sale: Tote with initials embroidered = $20.00

Liberty Bags - #8811

Recycled® Super Feature Tote

Colors: black, hot pink, light tan, navy, purple, red, royal blue

50% recycled 600D polyester/PVC. 15"W X 13"H X 4"D. Zippered main compartment. Adjustable straps. Contoured main front pocket gusseted side front pockets. Compartments for water bottles and cell phones as well as pen loops. 8" X 9" inside hanging pocket. Hanging ring for keys. Color matched hardware

No comments:

Post a Comment