Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cajun Corner - Vol. 3, No. 27

Cajun Corner – Vol. 3, No. 27 – July 9, 2011

Bon Jour!  Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ



Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.   We are also on Twitter and Facebook.

The 4th of July weekend was filled with fun.  This weekend is filled with the Blue Angels at the beach.

As planned George and I joined several neighbors for the 4th and enjoyed our friend from Pennsylvania who plans to move back to the Pensacola area in September.  I did bring my baked bread to the event.  I baked bread all weekend just to make sure that it would turn out okay.  I made bread with my home grown stevia.  It was good but green (stevia is green).  Then I made raisin bread.  George and I ate all of that.  Then I made herb bread with herbs from my garden, and a plain white bread.  We brought the herb and the plain white bread to our 4th of July gathering but I don’t think anyone ate it.  That’s the problem at a lot of these gatherings.  There is so much food and everyone brings something that you cannot possibly eat it all.

This week, however, has been mostly consumed with my crashed computer.  Yep, last weekend I turned my laptop on and there was no picture; just black.  So, I had to buy a new one, which arrived on Wednesday.  The remainder of the week has been spent loading my programs on the new computer.  Not that I have that many programs.  Actually, Wednesday I had all but my Quick Books Pro loaded.  Working day and night since Thursday, I finally got Quick Books Pro installed today.  I had to buy a new one because the old one doesn’t work with Windows 7.  Poo yie, what a hassle.  I’m just glad it is installed now.  Monday will be spent on bookkeeping.  This is also the reason that Cajun Corner is late this week.

Facebook now has “groups.”  I belong to 58 groups, most of which I’ve never even opened to look at them.  I do try to be active on 2 groups.  One is the WBL group, which is the Women’s Business Luncheon group; and, the other is the Support Local Pensacola Businesses group.  Since I’ve spent so much money this week, I’m really trying to get out there and post photographs of my embroidery everywhere.  Support Local Pensacola Businesses group received several photos and comments from me. 

Well, I decided that since it was Blue Angels week, I would post a photograph of my little purse that I made for the Fiesta Ball with the Blue Angels embroidered on it.  I guess timing is everything because several people “Liked” it.  Almost immediately after posting that photo a FB friend that I have never personally met, Mike Cotton, commented “what is your phone number?”  Cajun Stitchery is a business and I have no problem giving out my phone number, which I did.  He called and may want some ball caps and polo shirts.  Woohoo!  He explained that among other things, he is a film maker.  I have heard that this area is trying to build its film industry.  Mike has a television show called “Senior Xtreme” which presents local seniors who participate in various extreme hobbies, athletics, music, etc.  The whole point of the show, I believe, is if you are a senior, get off your sofa and start doing things.  Be active in some way.  Anyway, Mike invited George and me to the premier of the airing of the first show.  It was at Kooter Brown’s.   Laugh if you will but this is not Hollywood and Senior Xtreme is not CSI, either.  We did go and we had an enjoyable evening.  We got to meet Mike in person, and vice versa.  The program appeared very professional and entertaining.  The extreme seniors featured on the program were at the viewing, as well.  Besides, I do want to support local Pensacola businesses and hope they support me.

You know how a carpenter’s home is the last to be repairs; and, a mechanics car always needs a tune-up?  It turns out that an embroiderer doesn’t have a lot of embroidery for herself.  Prior to going to the Senior Xtreme premier (and after loading Quick Books Pro) I spent the day embroidering for me.  I took one of my t-shirts (office uniform) and embroidered a new neckline.  Then I embroidered large flowers on the front and a beautiful lace dragon on the back.  It actually turned out very nice.  I wanted to wear it to the premier and I knew the dress would be casual.  Embroidering a new neckline on t-shirts is a lot of fun.  The important part, of course, is that the crew neckline, that is so constraining, is gone.  Jersey is about the most comfortable fabric available.  Why not turn your comfortable, plain looking t-shirt into a comfortable, stylish shirt?

SALE:  We still have some of the $2 cloth napkins.  These are the 20 inch square, restaurant quality napkins with hemmed edges.  The colors that we have in stock are: 

1.      Purple

2.      Lavender

3.      Royal Blue

4.      White

5.      Teal

6.      Brown

7.      Sea Foam Green

8.      Navy blue

9.      Pink

The pink, navy blue and some white napkins were actually found in my fingertip towel stock this week.  I’m selling all of these (in-stock) napkins for $2 each; first come, first served.  They make great Christmas presents.  I highly suggest you buy them now.

We do have 5 dozen ivory napkins, 20” x 20”, with hemmed edges, restaurant quality, for $4 each.

SALE:  It’s Christmas in July, mes amis.  More stock clearance…fingertip towels for $2 each.  These make beautiful Christmas gifts.  The hot pink is especially fashionable these days.  The black towels would be beautiful with a design or monogram in solid white.  These are the colors in stock:

1.  White

2.  Pink

3.  Yellow

4.  Green

5.  Black

We still have some market baskets in stock: purple, red, hot pink, blue, and the black with white polka dots.  These are the regular sized market baskets that are 18"L x 11.5"W x 9"H with Collapsible/Removable Frame.  The price, without embroidery, ranges from $22 (for solid colors) to $28 (polka dot), each.   A name or initials would be $5.  Of course, the more embroidery you want on the basket, the more the cost.

Last week’s contest was so much fun.  Several people tried to guess the answer.  A few came very close.  In fact, some got the answer, but in English.  My nickname was always in Cajun French.  My mother’s nickname for me was Tit (pronounced teet) Crot.  The winner was Paulette Provost.  She will receive the cute pink canvas purse with her monogram embroidered on it.  Remember, you can only win once every 2 months to give everyone a chance.

CONTEST:  First person to answer correctly is the winner.  What fashion designer made jersey fashionable?

The winner will receive their monogram on a set of 4 in-stock napkins (see above for available colors).

CHRISTMAS is around the corner.  Unbelievable, I know.  But it is July.  Get that Christmas shopping done now and enjoy the holidays.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list. 



The following is taken from Wikipedia:

Rougarou represents a variant pronunciation and spelling of the original French loup-garou.[1] According to Barry Jean Ancelet, an academic expert on Cajun folklore and professor at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the tale of the rougarou is a common legend across French Louisiana. Both words are used interchangeably in southern Louisiana. Some people call the monster rougarou; others refer to it as the loup garou.

The rougarou legend has been spread for many generations, either directly from French settlers to Louisiana (New France) or via the French Canadian immigrants centuries ago.

In the Cajun legends, the creature is said to prowl the swamps around Acadiana and Greater New Orleans, and possibly the fields or forests of the regions. The rougarou most often is described as a creature with a human body and the head of a wolf or dog, similar to the werewolf legend.

Often the story-telling has been used to inspire fear and obedience. One such example is stories that have been told by elders to persuade Cajun children to behave. According to another variation, the wolf-like beast will hunt down and kill Catholics who do not follow the rules of Lent. This coincides with the French Catholic loup-garou stories, according to which the method for turning into a werewolf is to break Lent seven years in a row.

A common blood sucking legend says that the rougarou is under the spell for 101 days. After that time, the curse is transferred from person to person when the rougarou draws another human’s blood. During that day the creature returns to human form. Although acting sickly, the human refrains from telling others of the situation for fear of being killed.[2]

Other stories range from the rougarou as a headless horseman to the rougarou being derived from witchcraft. In the latter claim, only a witch can make a rougarou—either by turning into a wolf herself, or by cursing others with lycanthropy.[

================================================== 

Thanks to Paulette Provost for the following recipe:

Elephant Stew

1 medium sized elephant

Salt and pepper

2 rabbits (optional)

Cut the elephant in small bite-size pieces.  This will take about 3 months.  Add enough gravy to cover.  Cook over kerosene fire for about 4 weeks at 465 degrees.  This will serve 3,800 people.  If more are expected, 2 rabbits may be added, but do this only in an emergency.  Most people do not like hare in their stew!

===========================================================

Cajun French Phrase of the Week: chouchoot---------------thingamajig

(Taken from http://louisianacajunslang.com/language.html)

===============================================

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462


P.S.  You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment