Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cajun Corner Vol. 2, No. 43

Cajun Corner – Vol. 2, No. 43 – November 5, 2010


Bon Jour! Welcome to Cajun Stitchery’s weekly email and welcome to our family.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

Don’t forget to visit our catalog at www.companycasuals.com/cajunstitchery and www.cajunstitchery.etsy.com often.

I still haven’t received the certified copy of my birth certificate. I do, however, have a temporary driver’s license, good for 60 days.

Last Saturday, we did entertain Dale, our CPA, with dinner and a fire in the chiminea. The chicken Alfredo on fettuccini, French bread, wine, and yellow cake with chocolate icing – all made by moi – turned out great.

We only had a handful of children for Halloween. Since the neighbors were outside with their candy, we did have an enjoyable time cutting up with them. I embroidered some Halloween tea towels for a couple of our elderly neighbors. Afterwards, we went to another neighbor’s home and drank a bit of wine and enjoyed a pleasant evening.

Monday night we returned to our neighbors’ home for a delightful birthday get together by their chiminea. We had presents, cake and ice cream and a lot of fun and laughter. They really got me when, after singing the Happy Birthday song, they broke into the Five Pounds of Possum song, complete with animation. I received a book, “I really should have stayed home” from one of our neighbors. The book has a variety of short stories from a variety of authors about encountering bad situations while traveling. So far, it’s hilarious. Another friend gave me a beautiful mermaid candle holder; and, another gave jewelry. The best gift of all was my neighbors, themselves.

Since we missed one of our neighbor’s birthday in October, we presented him with a cell phone pouch. He is in the Air Force and at one time kindly gave me several sets of his old camouflage uniforms. I took a couple of the rank insignias off one of the uniforms and made them into a cell phone pouch. Rather than my usual D ring to hang from a purse, I used a clip to clip to a belt. I actually took George’s cell phone holder and more or less fashioned the pouch to look like that. The difference is that I used Velcro to close it at the top. Even George’s manly cell phone pouch allows the cell phone to fall out sometimes. I have such a tendency to make things fluffy and girly; but not this cell phone pouch. It was all man and I even embroidered his name – in a masculine block font – on the front. Well, he put it on and was modeling for us. We laughed so hard. He should have been in Paris on a fashion runway.

Wednesday night was my girls’ night and in their typical fashion celebrated my birthday with wonderful presents, food, conversation, and a decadent multi-chocolate laden cheese cake. I only forgot one bag of presents when I left, or rather when I rolled myself to my car. Those girls really know me well and it showed in the gifts. All sorts of mermaid items, of course, a hummingbird feeder with book, another book named “Wicked Plants”, nice warm socks, a blingy shirt, jewelry, make-up, gift certificate to get my hair done, gift certificate to the Grand Marlin, and the presents just kept rolling in. No one gave me anything embroidered. lol

Wednesday the rain began. We truly needed the rain and it was welcomed. It rained and rained. Warrington started to flood. It kept raining. In fact, it was raining when I left for my girls’ night and raining when I returned. It rained all through the night and into Thursday. The rain subsided by Thursday night and then it started getting cold. In fact, the low today is 39. I don’t do cold well at all. So, I’m bundled up most of the time in heavy coats.

Today I went to a women’s luncheon, and then went to lunch afterward with a dear friend that I haven’t seen in awhile. Remember when I embroider the two little dog coats. That is the friend. We had lunch at Bonelli’s and she bought me dessert for my birthday -- Tiramisu. Yummy.

Speaking of WBL, my friend, Donna, won a free sofa cleaning from one of the girls who has a cleaning business. Donna passed the sofa cleaning onto me because she has a new sofa that doesn’t need to be cleaned. We arranged for Elizabeth to be at my house next Wednesday to clean my sofa. Poor thing, with 3 cats, 2 dogs, one husband and all of the animals that have visited that sofa over the years, the sofa has got to be filthy, even though we vacuum it.

Our educational segment of our WBL meeting was presented by Earlynn Stillwell, a local attorney. Her topic was on cheap and/or free marketing ideas. We were each handed a list of 55 very creative and clever marketing ideas. As Earlynn’s segment closed, Kolleen, said, “Peggy, you will especially be interested in number 44.” I hurriedly searched for number 44 which says “Sex Sells.” I laughed and replied, “I’ve done that!” At that, the meeting continued. It wasn’t until later this afternoon that I realized that Kolleen and I failed to explain those comments. I can only imagine what the other ladies are thinking. The explanation is that earlier this year I read an article that said to find the most popular words and/or phrases used in searches on the internet and then use those words and/or phrases in your internet copy. My search showed that “sex” is the most popular word searched for on the internet. Kolleen and I got into a conversation about how I could use the word “sex” with regard to embroidery. In the end, I put some “red, sexy, handkerchiefs” for sale in my Etsy store.

Another friend from WBL called me earlier this week to talk about embroidery on webbing. She wanted a special key ring/holder that has webbing on the end with a name embroidered on the webbing. She kept talking about a wristlet. I told her that I need to see what she is talking about and she said she would bring it to our meeting. At the meeting today, she said she could not find one. It’s for a guy, so no fluffy/blingy stuff. She was talking about something about ½ inch wide and long enough to go around a wrist. The thinnest webbing that I have is white and one inch wide but I began playing around with the webbing this afternoon and by gosh, I think I can easily make these things. I’m thinking about making some with Cajun Stitchery embroidered on them. We could embroider names, company names with telephone number or email address, or even just designs.

It’s been a fun week. Tomorrow we are planning on going to the Arts Festival downtown. This birthday is the big 6-0 for me and I am dragging it out as long as I can get away with it.

My friend, Judy, is a grandmother. I told Judy sometime ago that I wanted to make a baby blanket for the baby. The colors in the baby’s room are sherbet colors. The parents decided that they didn’t want to know the sex of the baby until it was born. That put a damper on the baby blanket making for me. I did finish the baby blanket for our little Veronica who was born on October 29th. When I gave the blanket to Judy, she started to cry. Okay Judy, you knew I was making that blanket. There were no surprises. I took the crying as a compliment, but I am mush when any of my girls start crying. And if you don’t nip it in the bud, that crying becomes contagious. I cannot even imagine how to handle that entire group of girls crying. I shudder at the thought.

There are so many birthdays this month that it’s difficult keeping up with all of the gifts. The gift making, designing the embroidery for that particular person, deciding what to embroider on, and all of the things that go into the finished product is simply bliss for me. I let my imagination run wild and the girls don’t seem to mind. But when I get under the gun and fear missing my deadlines, some of the fun does drains away. So, I try to start as early as possible. Trust me; there are some pretty things to be unveiled this month.

The Mylar that I ordered arrived and I embroidered a test design on a towel. Oh my goodness. That stuff is beautiful. Bling, bling, bling. And, it is supposed to be washer and dryer safe. The first item was a towel for me. I told George that we need to use this towel and wash and dry it often to see how it lasts.

We are trying out a new idea with Cajun Stitchery. We are now booking Cajun Stitchery parties. Like the old Tupperware Parties. Our first one is going to be on November 14th. I’m a bit nervous about speaking to a group about embroidery. But I was talking with my son, Hank, today and telling him my concerns. He proceeded to tell me that this will be a piece of cake for me because, “Mom, you would talk to a wall if it would listen. You’ll do fine.” I have put together a power point presentation and slide show. I’m trying to put together some small catalogs but I’m having problems with my printer. It would be nice if this party is received well and others give parties, too. George came up with, yet another, brilliant idea. Rather than overwhelming everyone with all of the catalogs that we receive, we should simply put together a small catalog for this particular purpose. Rather than showing every t-shirt under the sun, we will have one t-shirt. So far, we will have one short sleeve t-shirt, one long sleeve t-shirt, one short sleeve polo, one ladies short sleeve t-shirt, one ladies long sleeve t-shirt, one ladies polo, one micro fleece jacket, one full zip hoodie, etc. I will let the audience know that we can get just about anything they want; they are not limited to our catalog items. Now if I could get my printer to work.

Speaking of my son, he was telling me today that my oldest granddaughter moved out and into her own apartment. She found an embroidery shop to embroider her initials on some napkins. What?! Hank said he didn’t realize that we did that. My own son! My own granddaughter! Guess I need to send them some embroidered napkins.

With all of the rain, the house next door sprung a leak in the roof. That’s a pretty new roof that was put on after Ivan. Luckily, we did not hire any of the fly by night roofers. Our roofer, Freeman’s, is out of Milton and has a 15 year warranty on the workmanship. They came over the first day and looked at the leak and figured out where it was coming from and returned the following day to fix the leak. I would certainly recommend this family business to anyone needing a roofer.

I’m still waiting on the AC guy to come over and give an estimate. Mr. Mattson (the AC guy) had surgery early this week. Nothing terribly serious, just enough to put him out of commission for a day or two. He said he will catch up with me next week.

Christmas is coming and customers are doing their Christmas shopping at Cajun Stitchery. Get this out of the way as soon as you can. For all who have businesses out there, remember that we also sell personalized gift baskets.

Always remember that we are just a call or email away at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com or 850-261-2462 and place your order.

ΘΘΘΘΘ

One day Boudreaux and Thibodaux were watching TV. A good commercial about a movie came on and it said, "Coming To A Theatre Near You." Boudreaux looked at Thibodaux and said, "Thib how they know where we live?

ΘΘΘΘΘ

French phrase of the week: Tant qu'à toi, t'es toujours en retard! (As for you, you're always late!)

ΘΘΘΘΘ

From my friend, Lynn Cieutat, in a recent email:

This was written by Becky Ransey of Indiana (a doctor's Wife), and I want to share it with you.

She was over recently for coffee and smelled the bleach I was using to clean my toilet and counter tops.

This is what she told me.

'I would like to tell you of the benefits of that Plain little ole bottle of 3% peroxide you can get for under $1.00 at any drug store. What does bleach cost? My husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years, and most doctors don't tell you about peroxide. Have you ever smelled bleach in a doctor's office? NO!!! Why? Because it smells, and it is not healthy! Ask the nurses who work in the doctor's offices, and ask them if they use bleach at home. They are wiser and know better! Did you also know bleach was invented in the late 40's? It's chlorine, folks! And it was used to kill our Troops. Peroxide was invented during WWI in the 20's. It was used to save and help cleanse the needs of our troops and hospitals.

Please think about this:

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle)

and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out.

(I do it when I bathe.)

No more canker sores and your teeth will be whiter.

Use it instead of mouthwash.

2. Let toothbrushes soak in peroxide to keep them free of germs.

3. Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs

and leave a fresh smell.

Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe,

Or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board,

pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years until I sprayed a

50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them

(especially the toes) every night and let dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for

five to ten minutes several times a day.

My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal

with any medicine but was healed by soaking in peroxide.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water

and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming

your septic system like bleach or most other Disinfectants will.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your

50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus.

It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria.

Hold for a few minutes, and then blow your nose into a tissue.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a

dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth

and hold it for ten minutes several times a day.

The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair,

spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower

and comb it through.

You will not have the peroxide-burnt blonde hair like

the hair dye packages but more natural highlights if

your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde.

It also lightens gradually, so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help get

rid of boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach

to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them.

If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly on the soiled spot.

Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water.

Repeat if necessary.

13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors.

There is no smearing, which is why I love it so much for this.

14. Another place it's great is in the bathroom, if someone has

been careless & has peed on the floor around the toilet &

it's begun to smell of urine.

Just put some peroxide in a spray bottle & spray.

In the blink of any eye all the smell will be gone &

The bacteria eliminated! I could go on and on.

It is a little brown bottle no home should be without!

With prices of most necessities rising,

I'm glad there's a way to save tons of money

in such a simple, healthy manner!

'This information really woke me up.

I hope you gain something from it, too.

Pass it on!

Clorox vs. peroxide VERY interesting and inexpensive.

Please let me know if there is something that you would like to see in the weekly email. You may always call me at (850) 261-2462 or email me at cajunstitchery@yahoo.com.

If you are not a subscriber and would like to receive Cajun Corner weekly, please email cajunstitchery@yahoo.com and let me know to put you on our email list.

C’est tout, mes amis

Peggy Henshall

Cajun Stitchery

(850) 261-2462

cajunstitchery@yahoo.com

P.S. You are always welcome to stop by and look at all of the catalogs and pass some time with me, cher.

SALE OF THE WEEK (Good through Thursday, November 11, 2010)

(Cajun Stitchery maintains a very small inventory in house. When our customers order items from us, we then order the items from the manufacturer. We pass the cost of shipping and/or handling that we incur from the manufacturer to the customer. When we ship items to a customer, we include our shipping cost on the invoice, as well.)

SALE: Long Sleeve Pique Golf shirt with name embroidered on left chest = $23.00 plus applicable tax/shipping

Outer Banks - #2108

Essential Long Sleeve Pique Golf

Colors: bimini blue, black, navy, pine green, bright red, sports grey, white, wine


6.8 oz. 100% combed ring-spun cotton. Three woodtone buttons. Welted collar. Cotton/spandex ribbed cuffs. Side seams. Even finished side vents.

No comments:

Post a Comment